FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Need advice for 504: 504 v. IEP  (Read 3780 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator

Offline my3guys

Re: Need advice for 504: 504 v. IEP
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:53:21 PM »
I am currently researching the difference between IEP and 504 for non-allergic DS' learning deficits.

I found this information very helpful:

http://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/special-services/504-plan/the-difference-between-ieps-and-504-plans

Offline my3guys

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:07:11 PM »
I meant to also add if the experts have a minute while I'm attempting to digest the info I'm gathering...here are the questions swirling in my brain.

Which plan is better for him? Are there differences in long-term repercussions between the two?

Based on the list of conditions that qualify for an IEP, he's been diagnosed with two of them. He's been successful in school to date, which is why one person was steering me more towards a 504. However, his speech therapist is encouraging me to go the IEP route because he will need in her opinion long term accommodations to help fulfill his potential as the work gets harder.

In my next life I'm going to be a doctor or lawyer, these kids keep me jumping with things I never knew anything about!!

ninjaroll

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 04:30:16 PM »
Quickie:

All students qualifying under the IDEA (special education) are automatically protected by 504 and ADA (civil rights). You needn't choose protections in that sense.

504 plans provide related aids and services to address individual needs usually related to access to the same curriculum.

IEP (or ARD in Texas) provide related aids and services to address unique educational needs, i.e., special education.

As such the procedural safeguards will vary, as will regulatory authority between the two. The IEP will develop measurable goals and has more robust safeguards including more for parents compared to 504 (but again the student is protected). The school has more leeway in evaluating the student, however.

For food allergy alone I would not recommend it but you won't be sacrificing 504 protections for food allergy if that's the underlying concern. From what you've written it sounds like student really should be evaluated for IDEA eligibility to receive sped services despite placement probably remaining predominantly in general education.

You may have to trigger an IEE if district has predetermined services. A good first step is to get that ST or SLP to commit that evaluation in writing to submit with your request for IDEA eligibility. That and whatever medical diagnoses you have because an educational diagnosis is actually separate from the medical. Yes, I know how strange that sounds.

I'm not an advocate but I know where you can find one if you want. 

ninjaroll

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »
Oh, and this.

http://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/special-services/504-plan/the-difference-between-ieps-and-504-plans

By the way I'm not wild about the wording on this page. Concentrate on the general feel along the matrices for differences.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:37:18 PM by ninjaroll »

ninjaroll

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »
my3, how is it going? 

Offline my3guys

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »
Thanks for your reply and checking Ninjaroll, sorry I never responded. I appreciate the info you shared.

Now that school's out for the summer, I am giving him some more time with the speech pathologist and will take her opinion and the tutor's opinion (who happens to be a special ed teacher) on the IEP vs. 504 route.

His tutor is also going to do some supplemental academic testing this summer, which should be another good indicator.

I think with a little more time and therapies under his belt, it will become more clear what he needs.