FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Sulfite/Food Additive Sensitivities

Unexpected Sources of Sulfites

<< < (3/3)

admin rebekahc:
ajasfolks2
Moderator1
Posted: 05.15.2008 at 08:59:30

Geez Louise!

Thank you for all of these -- taking notes and passing on to other family members as well.

I am suspecting hidden/unexpected sulfites may be part of my migraine problems this year (aside from stress).

THANK YOU AGAIN!

~e

Enable the child with LTFA: Disable the food use!

Committee Member FIREBIRD

DS - PA/TNA, latex, other legumes, mango
DD - TNA/verifying PA; drug allergies
Me - sulfites and other drugs

admin rebekahc:
being human
Posted: 06.22.2008 at 11:19:08

lots of sulphates in wine , ( from what I have read around) , although have heard that champange, the real stuff, might be the safe choice for many.
I know that it doenst have a high histamine level/yeast level when compared to other beers and wines etc.
so, perhaps cultivate expesive tastes in this direction?

Am not that familier with sulphate allergies, but isnt there a link with metals? eg cooking pans, avoiding copper? or am I going the wrong direction?

current allergies,

egg, peanut,beans, yeast extract, kiwi fruit, dog, cat, dustmite, mold, tree pollen, hay fever, and current unknown allergy.
this year so far, 6 reactions and used epi pen twice.

admin rebekahc:
Daisy
Posted: 06.23.2008 at 08:30:44

06.22.2008 at 11:19:08, being human wrote:

--- Quote ---lots of sulphates in wine , ( from what I have read around) , although have heard that champange, the real stuff, might be the safe choice for many.
I know that it doenst have a high histamine level/yeast level when compared to other beers and wines etc.
so, perhaps cultivate expesive tastes in this direction?
--- End quote ---

Any wines/champagnes are a problem. Sulphites (SO3) are produced as a by-product of fermentation, even when they aren't added as a preservative. Even the "sulphite-free" wines contain a small amount.

--- Quote ---...Am not that familier with sulphate allergies, but isnt there a link with metals? eg cooking pans, avoiding copper? or am I going the wrong direction?
--- End quote ---
Haven't heard of a problem with copper or metals leaching or converting sulfites.

I have had a couple of copper pans, but they were lined. Mostly I use enameled cast iron (Le Creuset) or plain cast iron (frying pan). The heavy pots keep me from burning too much whilst I'm doing 10 things at one time, and cooking dinner.  ;D

Take care,
Daisy

Self: seafood, egg, nuts, sulfites, yellow dye, IV contrast
GA - USA

admin rebekahc:
Ciel
Posted: 06.28.2008 at 12:57:01

Sulphites on the label for orange juice concentrate -- you know those little tubes in the freezer section where you add water to make juice? (I'm not sure if I'm describing it properly.) I can't remember if I was looking at Equality brand or Minute Maid, I'll check next time I'm in the grocery store.

ETA: It was Equality

« Last Edited by Ciel 06.29.2008 at 07:34:00 »

Lynne:

--- Quote from: AdminCM on August 21, 2011, 09:05:58 PM --- Unexpected Sources of Sulfites
Great to read all this info on the dreaded sulfites. I had an ah ha moment recently when I discovered that the reason why for many years I developed a very fast heartbeat in the dentists chair was because the standard anesthetic contains sulfites and I only found out recently that I am sulfite intolerant! Luckily over the last few years my dentist has given me an alternative anesthetic that doesnt cause the fast heartbeat ans so doesnt add to my nerves from being so close to a drill. Furthermore, did you know that during the processing of sugar beet (not sugar cane) the manufacturers use alot of sulphur in one form or another including sulphites hence why the high sugar content of Traditional Mango Chutney caused me problems recently!
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version