FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Sulfite/Food Additive Sensitivities

Unexpected Sources of Sulfites

<< < (2/3) > >>

admin rebekahc:

Daisy
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 09:38:35

Ok, I'm on a roll...

Moes Southwest Grill uses sulfites in some of their sauces & in their tortillas. I emailed them in hopes that I could eat there since they did not have fish/seafood. I wouldn't eat the marinated meats, anyway, but I thought I could at least have beans or a cheese quesadilla. Nope! No way!

I suspect the same thing about Chipotle. I reacted just sitting in there with a friend while she ate; I only had a Dr Pepper (self-serve). Spent the next hour hanging near the ER.  >:(  Thank goodness I didn't try the chips.

Daisy

Self: seafood, egg, nuts, sulfites, yellow dye, IV contrast
GA - USA

admin rebekahc:
McCobbre
Posted: 01.21.2008 at 12:43:30

Maybe that's why I've reacted twice after eating at Chipotle. But it was spaciness--not my typical sulfites symptoms. Scratching my head still.

Don't tell me Moe's--we have one and I was going to go there. Ugh.

"Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic. They are potent forms of enchantment, rich with the power to hurt or heal."~Albus Dumbledore
Me: shellfish, chamomile, sesame and a few odds & ends
DS: peanuts

admin rebekahc:
Daisy
Posted: 01.22.2008 at 07:59:58

Oh, forgot to add this one... photo processing solutions.

I started to feel uncomfortable in our local photo shop. I'm ok near the equipment at a drugstore photo lab, but not in a free-standing lab. The odors just overwhelm me...

Beware of taking any evening adult photography classes that have you developing your own photos.  :o

Take care,
Daisy

GA - USA

admin rebekahc:
Daisy
Posted: 03.02.2008 at 08:00:16

Coconut milk...saw this on the label at the grocery store today...3 brands. Of course they use this on shredded coconut to prevent browning, but didn't know it would be in the milk, too.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but lemon juices are notorius for having sulfites. Both the Realemon concentrate & the cute little plastic lemon juices in the produce dept.

Oddly enough, I am ok with concentrated Minute Maid Lemonade mix. I have tested the undiluted liquid with my sulfite strips & it is neg which means <10 ppm. It is made from concentrate, but it must be diluted enough not to bother me.

Take care,
Daisy

GA - USA

admin rebekahc:
Daisy
Posted: 05.15.2008 at 06:23:05

Snack packs of Twizzlers. DD had a wrapper in her pocket from a field trip. Fortunately she is not sensitive or allergic... but I dropped the wrapper & washed very quickly.   :o  And she proceeded to check the rest of the pockets and load the washer herself.

[See above post about gummy fruit candies, too.]

Take care,
Daisy

GA - USA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version