login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Unexpected Sources of Sulfites  (Read 36372 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
Re: Unexpected Sources of Sulfites
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »
ajasfolks2
Moderator1
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 06:24:17

Was surprised to read the ingredients on a jar of McCormick spice

McCormick
Gourmet Collection Blends

Chai Spice Blend

Ingr:  Spices (Including ginger and cinnamon), sugar, and sulfiting agents.

No mention on jar as to where / what country this was made.

http://www.mccormickgourmet.com
1-800-632-5847

Enable the child with LTFA: Disable the food use!

Committee Member FIREBIRD

DS - PA/TNA, latex, other legumes, mango
DD - TNA/verifying PA; drug allergies
Me - sulfites and other drugs
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »
Daisy
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 09:19:13

Dexamethasone, and some other injectable corticosteriods. You may be given these at the ER for an allergic reaction, in combination with Benadryl & Epinephrine. Steroids are often used to lessen the occurance of bi-phasic reaction.

Each mL of Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Injection 4 mg/mL contains Dexamethasone sodium phosphate, equivalent to 4 mg Dexamethasone phosphate or 3.33 mg Dexamethasone. Inactive ingredients per mL: 1 mg sodium sulfite anhydrous, 19.4 mg sodium citrate anhydrous and 10.42 mg (0.01 mL) benzyl alcohol (preservative) in Water for Injection.

Each mL of Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Injection 10 mg/mL contains Dexamethasone sodium phosphate, equivalent to 10 mg Dexamethasone phosphate or 8.33 mg Dexamethasone. Inactive ingredients per mL: 1.5 mg sodium sulfite anhydrous, 16.5 mg sodium citrate anhydrous and 10.42 mg (0.01 mL) benzyl alcohol (preservative) in Water for Injection.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/dexamethasone-injection.html

You must wear a medic alert. There are alternative meds you can be given, but you do not want to add to your problems if you are already experiencing an allergic reaction.

I keep oral steroids in my purse, prescribed by my Allergist, for just such an occasion. When the ER Doc wants to give steroids, I opt for my own meds, as my pharmacist has already checked these out. The Rx is very cheap, so I consider it good luck if I get through a year without using them.
Daisy

Self: seafood, egg, nuts, sulfites, yellow dye, IV contrast
GA - USA

TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »
Daisy
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 09:29:35

Here is a more comprehensive list of meds to avoid. Most are injectable.
What Medications Contain Sulfites?
Bronchodilator solutions for asthma
Adrenalin chloride 1:1000 concentration
Bronkosol
Isuprel hydrochloride solution
Topical eye drops

Pred-Mild
Pred-Forte
Sulfacetamide
Prednisol
dexamethasone)
Injectable medications

Amikacin
Betamethasone phosphate (Celestone)
Chloropromazine (Thorazine)
Dexamethasone phosphate (Decadron)
Dopamine
Epinephrine (Adrenaline, Ana-Kit, Epi-Pen)
Garamycin
Gentamycin
Isoetharine HCl
Isoproterenol (injectable)
Hydrocortisone (injectable)
Lidocaine with epinephrine (Xylocaine)
Meperidine (Demerol)
Metarminol
Norepinephrine (Levophed)
Procaine (Novocaine)
Prochloroperazine (Compazine)
Promethazine (Phenergan)
Solutions for total parenteral nutrition and dialysis
Tobramycin

http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites_2.htm

Lidocaine, commonly used for dental procedures is a no-no. My dentist showed me the can that the little ampules come in. Carbocaine is an alternative (be sure you read the label); it is a little shorter acting, but he uses this for folks that have reacted to the lidocaine.

Daisy

GA - USA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »

Daisy
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 09:34:44

One of the strangest things I've seen sulfites in is Keebler crackers. Since coming to the boards, I have started to tighten my comfort zone. I have read many good things about Keebler labelling practices, but have found several types of crackers they offer, including the Club crackers, contain sulfites. Yikes! Like can they not find another way to do this?

Also, one of the kids gummy fruit candies has sulfites. DD found this in the packaged goodies at the checkout.
ETA: I saw the Scooby Doo gummy candy hanging at the checkout today at Target (USA).

And pepper sauce, the little pickled green/yellow peppers in the shaker bottle. My family uses them on greens and black-eyed peas.

« Last Edited by Daisy 01.28.2008 at 07:19:09 »

GA - USA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »

Daisy
Posted: 01.20.2008 at 09:38:35

Ok, I'm on a roll...

Moes Southwest Grill uses sulfites in some of their sauces & in their tortillas. I emailed them in hopes that I could eat there since they did not have fish/seafood. I wouldn't eat the marinated meats, anyway, but I thought I could at least have beans or a cheese quesadilla. Nope! No way!

I suspect the same thing about Chipotle. I reacted just sitting in there with a friend while she ate; I only had a Dr Pepper (self-serve). Spent the next hour hanging near the ER.  >:(  Thank goodness I didn't try the chips.

Daisy

GA - USA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »
McCobbre
Posted: 01.21.2008 at 12:43:30

Maybe that's why I've reacted twice after eating at Chipotle. But it was spaciness--not my typical sulfites symptoms. Scratching my head still.

Don't tell me Moe's--we have one and I was going to go there. Ugh.

"Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic. They are potent forms of enchantment, rich with the power to hurt or heal."~Albus Dumbledore

Me: shellfish, chamomile, sesame and a few odds & ends
DS: peanuts
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
Daisy
Posted: 01.22.2008 at 07:59:58

Oh, forgot to add this one... photo processing solutions.

I started to feel uncomfortable in our local photo shop. I'm ok near the equipment at a drugstore photo lab, but not in a free-standing lab. The odors just overwhelm me...

Beware of taking any evening adult photography classes that have you developing your own photos.  :o

Take care,
Daisy

GA - USA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »
Daisy
Posted: 03.02.2008 at 08:00:16

Coconut milk...saw this on the label at the grocery store today...3 brands. Of course they use this on shredded coconut to prevent browning, but didn't know it would be in the milk, too.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but lemon juices are notorius for having sulfites. Both the Realemon concentrate & the cute little plastic lemon juices in the produce dept.

Oddly enough, I am ok with concentrated Minute Maid Lemonade mix. I have tested the undiluted liquid with my sulfite strips & it is neg which means <10 ppm. It is made from concentrate, but it must be diluted enough not to bother me.

Take care,
Daisy

GA - USA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »
Daisy
Posted: 05.15.2008 at 06:23:05

Snack packs of Twizzlers. DD had a wrapper in her pocket from a field trip. Fortunately she is not sensitive or allergic... but I dropped the wrapper & washed very quickly.   :o  And she proceeded to check the rest of the pockets and load the washer herself.

[See above post about gummy fruit candies, too.]

Take care,
Daisy

GA - USA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
ajasfolks2
Moderator1
Posted: 05.15.2008 at 08:59:30

Geez Louise!

Thank you for all of these -- taking notes and passing on to other family members as well.

I am suspecting hidden/unexpected sulfites may be part of my migraine problems this year (aside from stress).

THANK YOU AGAIN!

~e

Enable the child with LTFA: Disable the food use!

Committee Member FIREBIRD

DS - PA/TNA, latex, other legumes, mango
DD - TNA/verifying PA; drug allergies
Me - sulfites and other drugs
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
being human
Posted: 06.22.2008 at 11:19:08

lots of sulphates in wine , ( from what I have read around) , although have heard that champange, the real stuff, might be the safe choice for many.
I know that it doenst have a high histamine level/yeast level when compared to other beers and wines etc.
so, perhaps cultivate expesive tastes in this direction?

Am not that familier with sulphate allergies, but isnt there a link with metals? eg cooking pans, avoiding copper? or am I going the wrong direction?

current allergies,

egg, peanut,beans, yeast extract, kiwi fruit, dog, cat, dustmite, mold, tree pollen, hay fever, and current unknown allergy.
this year so far, 6 reactions and used epi pen twice.
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
Daisy
Posted: 06.23.2008 at 08:30:44

06.22.2008 at 11:19:08, being human wrote:
lots of sulphates in wine , ( from what I have read around) , although have heard that champange, the real stuff, might be the safe choice for many.
I know that it doenst have a high histamine level/yeast level when compared to other beers and wines etc.
so, perhaps cultivate expesive tastes in this direction?

Any wines/champagnes are a problem. Sulphites (SO3) are produced as a by-product of fermentation, even when they aren't added as a preservative. Even the "sulphite-free" wines contain a small amount.

...Am not that familier with sulphate allergies, but isnt there a link with metals? eg cooking pans, avoiding copper? or am I going the wrong direction?
Haven't heard of a problem with copper or metals leaching or converting sulfites.

I have had a couple of copper pans, but they were lined. Mostly I use enameled cast iron (Le Creuset) or plain cast iron (frying pan). The heavy pots keep me from burning too much whilst I'm doing 10 things at one time, and cooking dinner.  ;D

Take care,
Daisy

GA - USA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »
Ciel
Posted: 06.28.2008 at 12:57:01

Sulphites on the label for orange juice concentrate -- you know those little tubes in the freezer section where you add water to make juice? (I'm not sure if I'm describing it properly.) I can't remember if I was looking at Equality brand or Minute Maid, I'll check next time I'm in the grocery store.

ETA: It was Equality

« Last Edited by Ciel 06.29.2008 at 07:34:00 »

TX USA

Offline Lynne

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 06:53:27 AM »
Unexpected Sources of Sulfites
Great to read all this info on the dreaded sulfites. I had an ah ha moment recently when I discovered that the reason why for many years I developed a very fast heartbeat in the dentists chair was because the standard anesthetic contains sulfites and I only found out recently that I am sulfite intolerant! Luckily over the last few years my dentist has given me an alternative anesthetic that doesnt cause the fast heartbeat ans so doesnt add to my nerves from being so close to a drill. Furthermore, did you know that during the processing of sugar beet (not sugar cane) the manufacturers use alot of sulphur in one form or another including sulphites hence why the high sugar content of Traditional Mango Chutney caused me problems recently!