FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: GIANT CUPCAKE LINK: Avenge The Cupcake Queens!!!!!!  (Read 13156 times)

Description:

Offline hedgehog

Re: GIANT CUPCAKE LINK: Avenge The Cupcake Queens!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
On the bright side maybe the word "sensitivity" was used because the school actually kept your DS's health info private, so the person who wrote the letter only knows that there is someone in the class that cannot have those foods, but was not told specifically why?
USA

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 02:07:52 PM »

It's that time of year, isn't it?  After having to take my PA/sesame allergic daughter out of school early the day of her class's "Thanksgiving Feast" a couple of weeks ago (this was where 12 parents were solicited to bring in homemade foods ranging from biscuits to VENISON to swamp cabbage (and there was no mention of my daughter's sesame allergy, only please make sure everything is peanut free ... AS IF!), the school has now announced that a week from tomorrow, the same day they will hold all classroom holiday parties, they will host a "pancake breakfast."  Breakfast, mind you, being at 10.  So, kiddos will eat breakfast at home (because waiting until 10am to eat breakfast is ridiculous), will then go to the pancake breakfast, then on to lunch an hour later, then classroom parties for the rest of the afternoon.  So, not to hijack your post by any means, but I hear ya .. taking the kiddos to Disney that day!

And ... get this ... the school "nurse" calls to tell me the ingredients of the pancake mix, and I said it sounds OK, but what about the toppings?  She's like, "well, there are no nuts."  You mean to tell me that the "healthcare professional" they have hired does not understand issues of cross contamination?!  When I asked what the toppings were, she said she would have to get back in touch with me.  I'm thinking, why did she even bother to call if she did not have all of the info.  And this event is headed by the school "leadership,"  so I can't even blame it on a parent not in the know.

OK, last fun tidbit ... yesterday my daughter's choir teacher (who is also her music teacher) announced that there would be a "party" next week (although we have no idea what said party entails) and said to the group "those of you who are allergic to everything, just bring your own treat."  BTW, my daughter is the only one with food allergies in the choir.  Um, OK ... it boggles my mind that these people work with children and have that little empathy.  My daughter even heard another little girl saying, "man that would stink to have to do that."  BTW  ... this is a CHRISTIAN school!!

I understand what hedgehog is trying to say about the use of the word "sensitivity," but personally I'd prefer those in charge of food knowing the severity of the disability versus worrying about my daughter's privacy.  Heck, I can't even get our school to acknowledge her sesame allergy (even though they know she has been hospitalized with ana from exposure).  Fun times ...

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of food in one day!  Apparently these adults don't remember what it was like as a kid to be left out of something.  Crazy!