FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Safe food list for sesame/peanut/tree nut: US Specific(08/02/10)  (Read 52973 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Safe food list for sesame/peanut/tree nut: US Specific(08/02/10)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »
i should note, im not really sure how severe my sesame allergy is. i went to the allergist earlier in the week and did the skin prick test and it showed a mild sesame allergy. i want to ask about blood testing or or getting desensitized to this if possible because i am paranoid now even though i havent had a bad reaction, if any.

You should follow your allergist's advice and avoid.  However, since you don't have a strong reaction history, I would request that the allergist perform an oral food challenge to confirm the diagnosis.

Here is some info on this type of test:

"Food Challenges for Diagnosis of Food Allergy"
http://allergycases.blogspot.com/2008/03/food-challenges.html

"Clinical Trials and Food Challenges"
"Why are food challenges important?"
http://www.faiusa.org/page.aspx?pid=425

Oral Food Challenges for diagnosis and management of food allergies
http://www.uptodate.com/contents/oral-food-challenges-for-diagnosis-and-management-of-food-allergies

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »
i should note, im not really sure how severe my sesame allergy is. i went to the allergist earlier in the week and did the skin prick test and it showed a mild sesame allergy. i want to ask about blood testing or or getting desensitized to this if possible because i am paranoid now even though i havent had a bad reaction, if any.

You should follow your allergist's advice and avoid.

I agree.  Initially my reactions were mild.  But I continued eating sesame (because we didn't know what I was allergic to) and the reactions got more severe over time.  I don't think that happens with everyone....but it obviously happens to some.

Offline chenson2

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
Thank you for the advice. I am seeing him again on Tuesday and will ask. I do find it odd though that he did not warn me whatsoever about where sesame can hide on food labels. He told me nothing besides the fact that I had a mild skin reaction to it. If I had not gone home and researched the allergy, I'd have had no idea about how hard it is to avoid.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »
Unfortunately, most allergists really don't know how to completely avoid an allergen. 

When I was originally diagnosed I was told by one allergist that since sesame seeds are so small they couldn't really do me harm.  Yet, I was reacting seriously just from eating bread that ran on the same line as sesame seeds.  Another allergist told me it was impossible to completely avoid sesame seeds because they are cross contaminated in "everything".  She tried to convince me that if I hadn't reacted in over 6 months then the diagnosis must have been wrong and I should go celebrate with a Big Mac. 

Sesamefree

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
 :grouphug:
Please help us update this list by filling out the form at:
Sesame Seed Safe Food List (sesamefree.org ) https:// docs.google.com/forms/d/1iGKK6qqQ0MBZmHmLrq4Qx7esa9yAnV4HetAniXWv78s/viewform
Thanks all.

We can get through so much as a group!

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
Hi Sesamefree, welcome to FAS   :bye:!  I'm not a big fan of "safe" lists because they can get outdated very quickly, but they can be helpful as a starting point if people then confirm the information for themselves.  I had to take a space out of your link before it would work for me ... this is a helpful site to make links smaller http://tinyurl.com/.

I think you'll find that a lot of people prefer to just continue posting on their various site(s), but it's helpful to know about your site and you might also consider placing a link to our site and other sites with sesame info on your blog.

Feel free to come back and join us here at FAS anytime.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 04:42:32 PM »
I'm wondering if this thread should be unstickied since it's so dated.

Thread about chips now containing sesame ... others no longer "safe"?
Lay's chips with sesame

ninjaroll

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »
FWIW it's at the end of the ingredient list called out in "spices" so I deliver the bad news that it's there along with the good news that the brand called it out on the label instead of hiding it in "spices".  I think it's listed as sesame extract.

Marie

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 01:19:41 AM »
All products in the U.S. must list the top eight allergens.  This includes peanuts and tree nuts.  Sesame does not have to be listed in the U.S. However, there are a few companies that will list sesame.  General Mills will list sesame. You can look at the food allergy statement on their website. Call ConAgra Foods and Hillshire Farms.  I believe they will list sesame as well.

Marie

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 01:28:37 AM »
Also call Frito Lay and Kraft.  I believe they list sesame as well.  Just double-check.

gail

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 01:07:47 PM »
I have a strong allergy for nuts and sesame    I ate at Arys,   ordered Chicken strips and have a reaction    They told me they have 2 secret ingredients when I called corporate and they would not disclose if sesame was an ingredient    I am getting paranoid to eat anywhere,

Michelle

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 11:19:04 PM »
I was just recently diagnosed with nuts and sesame seed I came across this and it has relieved my nerves. Thank you so much.

Offline stormspotter

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:40 PM »
I was wondering about the Fritos, Tostitos ,  and the lays, I seem to be having trouble  with them. I get itchy and my lips swell. I’ve also got a soy allergy, as well as the peanut and the sesame and tree nut.  The DO NOT EAT, the Bachmans pretzels are made in a building where sesame products are manufactured, my lips swelled, I got itchy... cross contamination with those, otherwise they’re made in a peanut and tree but free facility. The Cc warning is under the allergy warning about the wheat.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 10:51:52 AM »
I am allergic to peanut, sesame, and assume nut.

I eat lays and Tostitos regularly.

I do not know mine are made in Canada or USA though.