FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Seed Allergy

Sunflower by any other name.: Different names for sunflower in ingredients list

(1/4) > >>

AdminCM:
Posted: 05.27.2009 at 10:39:08

It would be too easy if Sunflower was simply labelled "Sunflower" on ingredients lists but unfortunately that isn't the case so watch out for these too.

Helianthus Annus - Latin

Tournesol - French

Potassium Oleate - Gentle foaming agent from sunflower

Sodium Olefin Sulfonate - Gentle cleanser from sunflower

Grindelia Robusta - Wild sunflower (Unsure if would cause reaction but better safe than sorry)

« Last Edited by 05.27.2009 at 11:33:08 »

admin rebekahc:
gufyduck
Posted: 06.04.2011 at 11:57:25

bumping for personal reference...

Northern CA - Allergic to shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, and sesame

admin rebekahc:
maria888
Posted: 06.05.2011 at 05:54:11

Always a good reminder!!

admin rebekahc:
cmf
Posted: 07.16.2011 at 11:58:38

This is a great reference. I was ( unpleasantly) surprised to find that sunflower oil is in nearly ALL of the lip balms that I looked at from my son the other day (he has just started having swollen lips from the pawpaw ointment he has used for years-turns out its very allergenic!).
The more 'natural' the brand the worse they seemed to be (sunflower oil plus other seed oils including nut oils etc).
My son has very frequent epipodes of lip swelling which once the swelling abates, his lips basically peel and become very cracked (its then a vicious cycle with lip swelling to things he would other wise eat without problem).
cheers

twin boys 9yo
j-Out grew egg anaphylaxis at 3 1/2yrs-no food allergies until 6 1/2 yrs then anaphylaxis to barley, sunflower and peanut, allergic grasses, dustmites etc sensitised pecan and macadamia ?oas ?idiopathic angioedema-failed sunflower oil challenge-new severe pineapple-brief tongue swelling + lips/nasal/occular-spt+ve
 c-EE
**Australia

admin rebekahc:
Ra3chel
Posted: 07.17.2011 at 03:18:52

07.16.2011 at 11:58:38, cmf wrote:

--- Quote ---This is a great reference. I was ( unpleasantly) surprised to find that sunflower oil is in nearly ALL of the lip balms that I looked at from my son the other day (he has just started having swollen lips from the pawpaw ointment he has used for years-turns out its very allergenic!).
The more 'natural' the brand the worse they seemed to be (sunflower oil plus other seed oils including nut oils etc).
My son has very frequent epipodes of lip swelling which once the swelling  abates, his lips basically peel and become very cracked (its then a vicious cycle with lip swelling to things he would other wise eat without problem).
cheers

--- End quote ---

I've had fantastic luck with Badger lipbalms. If you can't find those locally, you can order 'em online; no nut or seed oils: http://www.badgerbalm.com/

The 3 is silent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version