FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Where are you? Hope all is OK.  (Read 73282 times)

Description: Missing someone?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Where are you? Hope all is OK.
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
Hi Candyguru!  Nice to hear from you.  6 and 9??? 

And my girl will be 17 next week!?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline candyguru

« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »
Hi Candyguru!  Nice to hear from you.  6 and 9??? 

And my girl will be 17 next week!?

17  ???  wow... time flies
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Ciel

« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »
Is anyone in touch with GingerPye? I hope she and her family are well.

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
Hi guys. Don't know what prompted me to drop into tonight after so long...maybe the extra glass of wine at dinner. :) Glad to see this community still exists and seems to be thriving.

I see Ginger on Facebook. Her daughter and my son are about the same age...getting through their college years.

My son is doing really, really well. He has had no relapses or issues since the clinical trial. He still carries an Epi for the peanut allergy (or at least as often as I can shame him into it), but he eats everything else on that former list of allergens without trouble. Was it the medication? Did he just outgrow and I (and his doctors) were overly cautious in terms of challenging him? We'll never know, and we definitely disagree. While I believe the trial had a huge effect, I think he believes that most of his restrictions and allergies were more minor than I made them out to be. Stories about his reactions from others don't seem to make a difference. He really believes I got my personal identity from starting this board and the FAB blog, and that I was invested in him being allergic. Those are hard things to hear, and harder to admit there may have been some truth in them. Of course I don't believe his allergies were imaginary, but I honestly don't know whether I was more afraid than I should have been. How can you possibly gauge that? But I did have to take time away from all FA things to lick my wounds after those difficult conversations. So hard to know if the good you do in the world ever outweighs the bad.

Boo, my son, is a senior in college now, studying history and all things Middle East. He'll be going to Jordan over Winter Break (something I could not have even imagined 5 years ago) for an intensive Arabic program. My daughter (Brina) is a senior in high school now and taking the world by storm. She's a talented linguist and is hoping to study international business in a big city somewhere far away from home. Hard to let go of your children, but mine are eager to get out there and I'm happy they have the confidence to do it. So much easier without the specter of MFAs hanging over his head.

We have not heard much about the clinical trial, other than they never published because results were inconsistent. The 30-pills-a-day was very difficult and one of the program people said they had a lot of difficulty with compliance. I heard they were reformulating the drug to a more concentrated form, but nothing after that. It seems there are a lot of promising therapies on the horizon, so who knows which will will the race? I just hope that they find something soon that works for more kids.

Can't think of much else to report. Trying to figure out what life with an empty nest involves. Hope all of you are doing well and that your kiddos are growing up safe and happy. Such a long way FA advocacy has come since we started in the 90s! Was very happy to put that teal pumpkin on my door this Halloween. :)
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2016, 09:58:05 PM »
Hi Boo - so glad you stopped in!

Great to hear your kiddos are doing well. We've really watched each our kids grow up here, and it feels more like family than our actual families at times.

My FA DS is now 22 and in his first year of Law School.  I secretly thought he might have outgrown because he hadn't had a reaction in so long, until he had a reaction this summer.  So I guess not.

I hope you'll stick around awhile!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2016, 10:44:47 PM »
 :bye: hi Boo! Glad you stopped in and all is well! Stick around!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2016, 07:19:16 AM »
I'm glad to see you Boo!  You have been on my mind lately as we were discussing the trial in a Science Based Food Allergies on FB. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2016, 07:39:20 AM »
So happy to hear from you!  Often wondered how things were going.  Glad your children are thriving and that you are doing well. 

Nothing about food allergies is ever black or white, we are always guessing, assuming, and an overabundance of caution is necessary, bodies behave differently depending on circumstances, hormones, you name it.

I hope you never doubt how much your efforts, your shared experiences, knowledge and education have been appreciated. 

Your son is an adult and ready to take on the world and whether he agrees with how you chose to do so or not, you got him to this great place he is at and helped mold him into the adult he has become!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2016, 07:57:48 AM »
Well said, PC!
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
Boo!  I am so glad to you stopped in and so incredibly happy to hear how well both of your kids are doing.
Your posts here and your blog really helped me to take the plunge and move to Mt. Sinai and to trust the allergists and do food challenges.  We have had successes and failures.  Both kids can eat baked milk and DS (12) can eat pizza which has been life changing.  DS also kicked beef years ago.  Both failed baked egg and thats ok.  Thank you for updating us and thank you for your advocacy bc it really helped changed our lives.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
Has anyone seen nameless around?
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2017, 07:52:02 PM »
Has gvmom been around?  I hope she’s OK.
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
Yeah, me, too. I’ve been missing her.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
Hey—I think I remembered that she posted fairly recently actually.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline gvmom

« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »
Has gvmom been around?  I hope she’s OK.

I'm around.  DS1 had a medical emergency a couple weeks back and it has kind of upended everything.  Not FA related, though we are still lucky he is alive. 

But, as happens most times in life, we've had other things sprinkled on top of that which have kept me pretty overwhelmed and just trying to keep my nostrils above water. 

So.... ya know.... I'm just  :-/ these days. 
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584