login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergic reaction- Healthy Times cereal -  (Read 4664 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator

Offline candyguru

Re: Allergic reaction- Healthy Times cereal -
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 08:43:57 AM »

As I posted, our daughter had a reaction to Healthy Times brown rice cereal.  The label mentioned nothing about wheat/gluten

We saved the box and a representative of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (part of the federal government Department of Health) came to our house to pick up the cereal sample and interview us for details.  They tested the cereal, and determined it did contain wheat and gluten.  They tested additional boxes and found the same result.

They initiated a product recall, and Healthy Times brown rice cereal was taken off store shelves across the country (Canada).

We recently saw the product back on the shelves (at Loblaws), and there is now a brand new ingredient label n the package, with the following text added at the end of the ingredient information:  "CONTAINS WHEAT/GLUTEN"

So we had a big impact as we forced the manufacturer to change its labelling by reporting the reaction to the government.  Now others will know this product is not safe for those who are wheat/gluten allergic (or avoid gluten for other reasons ie celiac)

I wonder if the company also changed its labelling in the USA.  It would be irresponsible of them not to warn Americans as well that the cereal contains wheat/gluten.

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »
Good for you guys!  Proof that one person can make a difference.   :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
Sorry that there had to be a reaction, but glad that you made some change happen!  Thanks for protecting other people.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »
Good for you guys!  Proof that one person can make a difference.   :thumbsup:

yes, as a result, the manufacturer was forced to change their label.. one person can make a difference :)

and hoping this will prevent other kids from having to suffer a reaction from this product and go to the ER, now the labelling is correct :) 
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline candyguru

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
Sorry that there had to be a reaction, but glad that you made some change happen!  Thanks for protecting other people.

yes, it is nice to know that something good actually came out of her bad reaction :)

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 12:23:47 PM »
Good work!

I have a cold and when I first (and second) read this I thought it said that they TASTED it and determined it had wheat/gluten!  I was half confused, half impressed.   :rofl:

Offline lmw

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »
I work in  store that sells this brand. When I first read here about the reaction, and then got the CFIA recall notice, I checked at the store to make sure we pulled it from the shelf. It was a little weird knowing WHY it was being recalled...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
Has anyone in the US noticed if there's been a label change here, as well?

One other thing that I wanted to mention-- and commend CG's family about-- is how hard it is to "save" an item that you KNOW just about killed a family member via cross-contamination.  It's SO hard not to dump it in the trash, but that is how you can make a big difference-- by preserving an "uncontaminated" sample for a testing agency.  It's REALLY important to know that.   :heart:

Congratulations, CandyGuru, on making a difference!!  (I'm just sorry that it came at your sweet DD's expense.)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline krasota

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
I can try to remember to look in a couple stores which might carry it.

We never did baby cereal.  I remember noticing that brand, but I also saw that they had many barley/oat baby cereals and figured x-contam would be an issue if we did want to go that route.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.