login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Candy corn?  (Read 15701 times)

Description:

Offline krasota

Candy corn?
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
Egg-free, most tree-nut free, soy-free, gluten-free?

We can do coconut, almonds, pecans, walnuts.  No hazelnuts, pistachios, cashews.  Strictly soy-free--no lecithin or oil.

I checked the archive . . . most of the threads are older, so I thought I'd check and see if there was any new info.

Brach's reads okay by ingredients (heads up--they have sesame this year), but I don't know how I feel about their manufacturing processes.  Well, I do know how I feel and DH is going to get to return that bag to the store.  (He bought it without talking to me first.)  DS really wants candy corn and nothing is looking safe this year.  If they don't have eggs, they have soy.  Not interested in DOTS.

I guess I'm going to have to make it.  This recipe looks promising:
http://www.bestallergysites.com/2815/candy-corn-recipe-peanut-free-tree-nut-free-egg-free-gluten-free/

Have folks who've made it ever tried pressing the goop into candy molds?
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline Jessica

Re: Candy corn?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »
In the past, Brach's candy corn has always read unsafe for peanut, and possibly other nuts. Does it not list peanut this year?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline krasota

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
Brach's has pretty much everything in the manufacturing/packaging spaces, so no, it's not safe because of that.  Straight up ingredients themselves are peanut-free.
--
DH histamine intolerance

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »
Is Brach's egg free.  For some reason, I thought they had egg in them.  Not that I'd buy it for DD because of the nut cross-contamination. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »
Ditto on the Brach's.  I would have SWORN there was egg albumin in it.

Aside from the obvious pn XC, I mean...

Well, I do know how I feel and DH is going to get to return that bag to the store.  (He bought it without talking to me first.)

I never knew that my DH was moonlighting at your house... 

(In all seriousness, we often give such "goofs" to the food bank because MY personal DH usually conveniently "loses" the receipt and can't return things.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:05:37 PM »
No, that's my DH tyvm.  Closer.  Duh.

And I thought he's been at meetings every night the last two weeks.  :misspeak:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline krasota

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
Perhaps it varies from year to year?  I thought it was egg-free last year, too.  Ingredients:  sugar, corn syrup, confectioner's glaze, salt, honey, dextrose, artificial flavor, gelatin, titanium dioxide color, yellow 6, yellow 5, red 3, blue 1, sesame oil.

Packaged on equipment that also packages products containing traces of milk, egg, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and/or soy protein.  Made in Mexico.

They should really just start making candied shrimp and fish.  I think they're underachieving. 

At least it covers the bug food group.  Mmmm, shellac.

--
DH histamine intolerance

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »
Omigosh, that reminds me of the single FUNNIEST complete cya food advisory label I've ever seen in my life, actually.

I remembered it because even at the time, I was like-- WOW... that is REALLY a weird combination... are they milling animal feeds in the same airplane hangar or something?

Salsitos and GuacaChips.  KingSnak foods.    :yes:

Darn-- they don't have the shellfish and fish warnings anymore.  Or an egg warning. I'm disappointed in them.  Because that old label REALLY had it going on.   :rofl:

Offline krasota

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
I remember that.  I just assumed they were packaged in a facility which also did shrimp flavored chips or a thai chip with fish sauce.  Or fishy worcestershire for a flavor agent.

Tomorrow, when I'm less delirious, I shall talk myself out of the proper starch molding process for a mallowcreme candy.

Or maybe tomorrow will find me creating a die to make the starch molds nicely uniform.  Maybe I'll just use kiddo's basalt pyramids and make pyramid mallowcremes.
--
DH histamine intolerance

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:59:25 AM »
Dots candy corn.  I know it's not the same but I cannot find candy corn that doesn't have warnings one way or the other for the kiddos and since they all look similar, I know they will recognize the Dots as "safe".

Dollar Tree is carrying a nut free variety again this year.  I cannot think of the brand and I won't likely be back in there.  However it does have egg in it.

I don't like that Jellie Bellie's hasn't been exactly forthcoming on their manufacturing processes (I seem to remember they polish stuff with nuts) and they use artificial sweeteners.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 07:21:36 AM »
I was just going to say- I found jelly belly corn and harvest mix @ tj maxx ...every time I call I get a different answer from them....though this time they did say they've always been egg free and have been peanut free since 2009. They're in my pantry...jury is still out.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »
I was just going to say- I found jelly belly corn and harvest mix @ tj maxx ...every time I call I get a different answer from them....though this time they did say they've always been egg free and have been peanut free since 2009. They're in my pantry...jury is still out.

I have found a similar mix at Cracker Barrel but it mentions tree nuts.  Considering the run around they gave us the last time when they were declared peanut free and the umpteenth different messages they sent out, I don't trust them.  I know others have used their products but it's like pulling teeth to get an answer - half the time I feel like they send the answer you want to hear, not the truth (Krapt anyone?)
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline krasota

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »
Jelly Belly contains soy.  Still not interested in DOTS today, hasn't changed since yesterday.  They taste like plastic.  Stale plastic.

--
DH histamine intolerance

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Jelly Belly contains soy.  Still not interested in DOTS today, hasn't changed since yesterday.  They taste like plastic.  Stale plastic.

LOL My kids adore them but they don't know better.  Remember, I have the child that used to think Ener-G bread was the bomb.  The rest of us just think it can be dropped as bombs.

I have to say the bats taste better - mmmm, blood orange.  Okay - maybe not but they are better than the buttery flavor of the candy corn to me. 
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 12:35:03 PM »
 :-X  Mentioning ""bread"" and En-R-G together?  In the same dependent clause in a sentence?

NOT COOL. 

Just sayin.  <shudder>

I dunno about Dots.  No, nothing like real candy corn...  and very much like stale plastic.  But I confess that I do sort of like the Tropical ones... and I still miss the Wintergreen ones that they made for one all-too-brief summer. 

:hiding:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.