login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cumulative student file  (Read 5085 times)

Description:

Offline socks on a rooster

Cumulative student file
« on: September 20, 2011, 05:53:51 PM »
I just received copies of dd's file. It only contains "official" info like testing and the like plus her 504 Plans. There are no email communications or letters (of which there are MANY) sent certified mail. Is this right?

Carefulmom1

Re: Cumulative student file
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
This is Carefulmom.  Still getting used to this new site.  I think it is strange that none of your emails or certified letters are in your dd`s file.

Offline yellow

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
Did you write that a copy must be placed in the student file in the certified letter? I'd ask them where the rest of the file is. Or ask your lawyer to ask them. That's crazy!

Offline Susan

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
Our province has specifics about what is kept in the Ontario Student Record as well as who is responsible.
3.1.5 Special health information: Part E
A summary of a student's special health conditions will be included when such conditions are disclosed to the principal. Entries in Part E will be dated and kept current.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/curricul/osr/osr.html

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »
I just received copies of dd's file. It only contains "official" info like testing and the like plus her 504 Plans. There are no email communications or letters (of which there are MANY) sent certified mail. Is this right?

I know an advocate who is for hire and been in practice for over 20+ years (has ds w/disabilities now an adult) with knowledge of education law and special education law that would surpass anyone.  She told me that the student file MUST CONTAIN any information reg. the student that took place in/to/from the school.  So emails, notes about the student (even if on a sticky note) must be placed in the student's personal file.  It's questionable when things don't show up.  I would send, in writing (email) another request with explanation that the current file you received was missing XYZ and you would like the FULL FILE between date X and date X".  Then sign email and add, "Please place a copy of this correspondence in [student name's] personal file". 

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »
Thanks. I thought it was really strange. I'm not sure if they are just clueless, or trying to pull a fast one.

Offline Susan

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
Probably both!  :crazy:

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:17:08 AM »

Are you sure its the "cum" and not the typical condensed version found at the school office level?

~Note:  Posting as Moderator for Schools:  Nothing actually modified or edited here in this post of Arkadia's.  I meant to click "quote" not click "modify" and post my follow on comment to socks & Ark.  My apologies.  Just wanted that clear for everybody, since it does show an Edit date/time stamp.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:06:52 AM by ajasfolks2 »
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:07:23 AM »

Are you sure its the "cum" and not the typical condensed version found at the school office level?

Excellent point.  We are discovering there are lots of "versions" of records at our school and district.  AND that it is not always made clear to us from where/which records things are suddenly appearing . . . or disappearing.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:15:09 AM »
Google district website and see if you can find an official policy and procedure as to exactly WHAT docs should be in cumulative file, order, and other info.

POssible search words to include:

records accountability policy guideline

something like that.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 05:24:26 AM »
Just wanted these links here in this discussion in case anybody needs them:

http://ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/students.html

http://ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/for-eligible-students.pdf

Nice to have at fingertips, perhaps.   ;)

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »
In my district the current file is in the actual, physical school (for the current school year).  Past school year is in the district admin office.  Not sure if this helps but there you have it!

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »
. (trouble posting with quotes today)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:13:10 AM by Arkadia »

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »

Excellent point.  We are discovering there are lots of "versions" of records at our school and district.  AND that it is not always made clear to us from where/which records things are suddenly appearing . . . or disappearing.

My son's special education "cum" was at the special education cooperative, and the "cum" for the district at the district office. Both needed appointments and chaperones to view. There was a sign in log. It was while viewing my son's special education "cum" I became acquainted with whom is now my most legitimate and ethical ally/advocate/and confidant regarding educational matters. The director for special education for the entire cooperative. She was my "chaperone", while viewing. She explained much in great detail, and gave me some very valuable insight.

When my son graduated from 8th grade, she called me to let me know my son's sped record was being purged (destroyed) and would I like to have it?

At .30 cents a page?  YES< YES< YES!! It was about six inches thick, and probably one inch of that my correspondence. All IEP's, meetings, conferences, and in chronological order. How great is that??!

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »
I did specifically request "cumulative file" in my written request. So, supposing I don't get them to give me copies of all the certified letters, withdrawal letter, emails etc....what does that mean in terms of filing a OCR complaint? I have copies of it all. Would I not be able to use them? Is it really necessary to go back to the SD to request them? Would doing so just be further documentation that they "purged" dd's file or were trying to hide things?

When my husband saw the file, he said, "That sure ain't the STACK Mrs. XXX brings to all the 504 meetings!"