FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Silk soy milk again! Has anyone found a soy milk not on shared lines  (Read 21847 times)

Description:

Offline Carefulmom

So dd has been on and off of Silk a couple of times now.  She was on it and then it was making her sniffly, so we went to 8th Continent.  This was years ago.  She hates 8th Continent.  Then about two years ago when she went on baked milk and started being able to eat items on shared lines with cow`s milk, she went back on Silk.  I was not happy when they started sharing lines with almonds and I am not okay with her eating/drinking items on shared equipment with tree nuts.  I contacted the Operations Manager  and was able to get the codes for the ones on shared lines with almonds.  Before I buy it, I check the code and make sure it is not on shared lines with almonds.  So even though it has an almond warning, it is not on shared lines with almonds.  By now I thought she would be okay if it is on shared equipment with cow`s milk, since she can eat pizza and various other items with high levels of baked milk.  Back in May, she had a minor reaction from Silk, which was disappointing, since she can usually eat milk cross contaminated items.  I left a message for the Operations Manager and he never bothered to return my call.  I figure if my dd with her high threshold is reacting, then the level of milk cross contamination must be really high.  According to what the Operations Manager told me before, based on the code, that container was not on shared lines with almonds.  Dd now says Silk is giving her a stuffy nose, and at 16 I figure she would know.  But are there any other soy milks that are not on shared lines with cow`s milk or tree nuts?  She hates 8th Continent, plus I think I read on this board that it is on shared lines with tree nuts now?  (not sure about that)  At 5 feet 1 and 85 pounds, I am concerned about her calcium intake.  Also, I am concerned, because I really think she needs soy milk for additional protein.  What brand of soy milk are people using?

twinturbo

Re: Silk soy milk again! Has anyone found a soy milk not on shared lines
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »
Only my peanut & egg allergic child is currently drinking soy milk. He regularly drinks Soy Dream and Kikkoman Pearl. We do use shared line with almond, coconut and cow milk. Your best bet there may be the Kikkoman Pearl. Never called on it before using.

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »
PC brand makes soy milk that are not on sharded lines with dairy & almond free lines.  I have called them several times in the past and they are really good with allergy information.

Only thing is that I am not sure if you can buy PC brand outside Canada.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline my3guys

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:54:41 AM »
Check out ZenSoy or Nature's Promise.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
We use Trader Joe's (chocolate) but only SOME sizes are not on shared lines-- the largest size is only on shared lines with wheat, as I recall, and the singles are okay as well.

Kikkoman Pearl-- but I can only get that at one place, too.  Likewise I've never called on it-- they seem to do their own manufacturing and carry nothing that should be a problem (egg, nut, milk, shellfish) for us.

Luckily, it's the same store that is also the only place that I can buy Tribe hummus.  <sigh> DD loves the cappucino flavor of Kikkoman pearl.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
Oh yes, Zensoy. DS1 eats the soy pudding. He's had the soy milk (which I bought through Amazon) but the taste leaves a lot to be desired. They have a pretty good allergen statement online it's worth checking in to. Pearl you can buy online as well. It's the only way I can find the green tea flavor. Or... did. Not so sure I can drink soy milk anymore. Sadness.

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:22:16 AM »
Zensoy shares equipment with cow`s milk.  Their online statement says that there are milk items made in the same plant, but they clean their equipment really well.  So I emailed and asked if it is the same equipment or different equipment, and she wrote back an email dodging the question.  I emailed again, and she finally admitted it is shared equipment with cow`s milk. So is this really any different from Silk?  Maybe their is less risk of cross contamination with Zensoy?  Maybe better cleaning?  I really don`t know.  My3guys, what do you think?  Your ds had trouble with Silk, right?

I went to the President`s Choice website and there is no store within 50 kilometers.  None of the chains that they listed are around here.  I went to the website for Kikkoman Pearl and it does not say if it is shared equipment.  I filled out the Contact Us form, and will see what they say.  I cannot get the product locator section to work, but it does list a couple of chains that are near me.

I will check out Trader Joe`s also.  Thanks, everyone!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:26:57 AM by Carefulmom »

Offline my3guys

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:35:59 PM »
hmmm. I feel like ZenSoy may have changed what they do...I thought they were on dedicated lines.  My youngest ds drinks Nature's Promise (through Stop and Shop).  They both had problems with Silk.

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
I heard back from Kikkoman Pearl and their soy milk is on shared lines with almonds.  Definitely not okay for dd.  So that leaves Nature`s Promise and Trader Joes I still need to check.

My3guys, do you know if Zensoy is on shared lines with any tree nuts?  I think I forgot to ask that when I contacted them.

I can`t find a website for Nature`s Promise.  Can anyone else find one?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:48:44 PM by Carefulmom »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »
Wow-- thanks for the head's up on the Kikkoman pearl-- likewise way out of OUR comfort zone.

DD will be bummed.  But better that than reacting.  <sigh>

Western U.S.

Offline PNfreemom

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »
We have been using West Soy milk for 3 years now and never had a reaction. It is part of Hain Celestial though. I know people don't love them.
DS1-MA (severe FPIES), feeding issues
DS2- MA, Apple Allergy, Drug Allergies

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »
I called them and they are on shared lines with tree nuts. 

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Well, I was never able to find Nature`s Promise, and Trader Joe`s refused to give me any manufacturing information, so dd went back on Silk about a month ago.  Then yesterday she had 2 1/2 cups of their new Mint Chocolate Soy Milk.  This was over the course of 6 - 8 hours.  I had contacted Silk and been told that it is on shared lines with cow`s milk, but not on shared lines with almonds.  Last night a few minutes after she drank the end of the 2 1/2 cups, she developed a swollen lip.  This is very discouraging.  I don`t see how a child who can eat a slice of pizza with normal amount of cheese (baked) is unable to drink 2 - 3 cups a day of a milk cross contaminated item.  I guess I need to try and contact Trader Joe`s again.  I don`t seem to be able to find Nature`s Promise anywhere around here (southern California), and could not find a phone number for them anyhow.

So confused as to why dd is having so much trouble with Silk, when she does so well on baked milk and baked cheese....

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
When DD calls Trader Joe's (about another product), we'll see what we can find out as well, Carefulmom. 

Western U.S.

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »
Thank you.  When I called them, they were very evasive.  They said whether or not it is shared lines with any of the other top 8 is "proprietary".  That is a new one.