FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: unflavored gelatin  (Read 3502 times)

Description:

kate

unflavored gelatin
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »
Hi. I am looking for unflavored gelatin. There is a brand called Knox which is a Kraft product. Would you trust it? Are there any other safe brands for PA/TNA? Thanks!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: unflavored gelatin
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
Pretty much all gelatin, I found, leads back to Kraft.

:-/ 

That's the bad news.

The good news is that I don't know of any reason why it would be unsafe-- nor have I ever heard of persons with PA/TNA (milk, egg, shellfish, or wheat) allergy having a problem with it.  For clarity-- I mean the UNFLAVORED PACKETS of plain gelatin.

This is one of my very rare exceptions to a Kraft-free household.  Though, to be fair, I tend to avoid using gelatin in any form and partly, it is because I don't like trusting Kraft.  At all.

Agar would be a vegan alternative-- if you can find it, that is, and if (BIG if) it proves to be free of peanut/treenut contamination itself.    I've never been able to locate any outside of bulk sources where there was obvious nut XC, so it was a moot point for me personally.

Agar (sometimes agar-agar) is derived from seaweed, by the way.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:55:09 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
I use KoJel, which is jello-like but contains no gelatin.  The ingredients are sugar, carrageenan, adipic acid, potassium citrate, natural and artificial flavor, FD&C Red #40 for the strawberry flavor.

IDK if the natural and artificial flavors would be an issue, and there's no info. about potential xcontam, so IDK about shared lines.

Making it is easy:  boil water, add mix, stir, then chill in fridge.  It sets faster than gelatin does.

If you want to call KoJel to ask, you can call 800-83-KOJEL (56535)  It's made in the US, and it's kosher.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:41:55 PM »
Thank you SO much Mookie!!

(I wonder if they make an unflavored version!!)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »
I once purchased a gelatin-free "jello" mix that was unflavored.  If KoJel doesn't make unflavored or isn't safe for your families' FAs, I can try to figure out what brand it was.