FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Capsule materials  (Read 2965 times)

Description:

Offline Human

Capsule materials
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »
I've got an insane number of food sensitivities that unfortunately include all the standard ways of packaging medicine.  When I started reacting to standard gelatin capsules I found the vegetarian ones still were ok.  Unfortunately, now I'm even reacting to two different versions of vegetarian capsules and I'm hoping there might be something else out there.

While this is a longshot I'm hoping someone on here might have hit the problem and come up with a better answer.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Capsule materials
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:07:28 PM »
I wonder if you could just avoid the capsules. Either get a different preparation or open the capsule and put the meds into a spoonful of applesauce or something?  Otherwise, maybe use a compounding pharmacy and have your meds made as an elixir/tablet/??
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Human

Re: Capsule materials
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »
I wonder if you could just avoid the capsules. Either get a different preparation or open the capsule and put the meds into a spoonful of applesauce or something?  Otherwise, maybe use a compounding pharmacy and have your meds made as an elixir/tablet/??

I've been opening the capsules and mixing them with food.  It's just sometimes inconvenient and so I was hoping for a better answer.