login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Testing surprise  (Read 3009 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Testing surprise
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »

Offline Human

Re: Testing surprise
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »
I'm not shocked--I'm completely negative on all allergy tests.

The problem is that "allergy" in doctor-speak and as determined by the blood and skin tests doesn't cover all the bad reactions your body can have to food.

As I understand it the negative allergy test means you're not going to have an anaphylactic reaction but that's not the same thing as saying you won't have some reaction.  In my case at least it also means that all antihistamines are completely worthless.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »
I think it's important to note the difference between allergy and intolerance. What you seem to be referring to would not be an allergy. An allergy is an IgE mediated response - that's the definition.  To call an intolerance or any other adverse reaction an "allergy" is incorrect and does a disservice to those who have true allergies.

Also, a negative allergy test does not necessarily mean you don't have an IgE mediated allergy - reaction history always trumps testing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:38:35 PM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
I tested negative.....and had an anaphylactic reaction.

My son tested negative, then when he tested positive (to cats and mold) the doctor was shocked at the size of the wheal.  His reactions when in contact with his allergens is quite severe too.

I agree with r.  An intolerance is very different from an allergy.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »
I tested negative.....and had an anaphylactic reaction.
Me too. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum