login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food Allergy, Intolerance and Acid Reflux  (Read 6346 times)

Description:

Offline beeks

Food Allergy, Intolerance and Acid Reflux
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
Continued from http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_board/board_id/6/start/46

I just wanted to keep everyone informed on my rather rare condition.  I've had envirnmental allergies my whole life.  About 5 years ago my health started going down hill.  I had a lot of acid reflux symptoms, stress, fatigue, anxiety, malnutrition, weight loss, constipation and numerious other symptoms.  Doctors continually told me nothing was wrong with me.  "Take acidophilous, excersize, and eat right", they'd say.  Good advice to help irritated intestines, but they missed the cause of the irritation so it didn't help.  I suspected gluten and lactose intolerances.  Since intestinal irritation causes a reduction in lactase production, dairy was definately a problem.  All grains seem to irritate me.  Wheat is definately the worst.  I don't believe it's celiacs at this point.  I just think I'm having a difficult time digesting the grains as well as the fact that they seem to bind me up.  I have tested positive for barley and rye allergies, and I am also suspecting wheat.  I saw a gastroenterologist.  He wasted most of my time talking about IBS.  It never made since to me.  Then he brought up a rare condition called eosinophilic colitis.  He said that it is food allergies cause swelling in the large intestines.  "It's very rare, but it's possible" he said.  And he went on talking about IBS and other possibilities that didn't really make since.  I started taking claritin on a regular basis along with the acidophilous and lexapro.  Claritin is working well.  The swelling in my large intestines is under control and my intestines are starting to heal.  I still have to identify the allergins aside from the ones I'm already avoiding.  I'd love to hear from anyone thats dealing dealing with eosinophilic colitis, and I hope this helps anyone dealing with my symptioms. 

And for what it's worth my acid reflux symptoms, weren't really acid reflux.  It was burping up dairy and grains that weren't properly digested.  Acid medication provided some short term relief, especially aciphex, but made things worse in the long term. 

Offline Janelle205

Re: Food Allergy, Intolerance and Acid Reflux
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
I'm not dealing with EC, but wanted to ask if you had had a gastric emptying study done?  I have a gastric emptying delay - food stays in my stomach for way longer than it is supposed to.  If I'm not careful, I get really bad reflux because the food isn't moving out of my stomach, and have similar issues with constipation, since it takes the food so long to move through my system.  While I avoid all my allergens, I also limit high fiber foods with lots of whole grains or raw veggies - since they 'keep you full longer', they take my stomach WAY too long to digest.  If I eat too much or don't take my meds, it is not uncommon for me to throw up my dinner late the next morning. 

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »
Did they test you for celiac because your symptoms just scream it.

Offline beeks

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:14:54 PM »
The test for celiac's came up negative. 

Janelle, that sounds like something I should talk to my doctor about.  My gut feeling (pun intended)  is that it's not the case for me though.  I'm always hungry.  I believe that my small intestines are irritated from the prolonged constipation and gas.  That irritation is causing them to not digest food properly, which of course would cause similar symptoms to your gastric emptying problems.  Are you taking acidophilous?  It's proven very helpfull for me.

Is anyone aware of a good book about intestinal issues and their causes?  One that includes more than just allergies.

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:31:30 PM »
Celiac would be negative if you were GF at the time.

Offline beeks

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 06:17:52 PM »
I've tried GF diets.  I was not on one when I had the test done and they didn't help at all.  My Doc started me on a different drug for IBS that is definately helping.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
I'm really glad to hear that you have found something which is helping you!   :yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.