login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dove Chocolate  (Read 15111 times)

Description: updated allergy info on their website

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
Re: Dove Chocolate
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 10:54:16 PM »
Am I the only one nervous as heck to try these Promises considering they make a pnut butter one??!!
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline Jessica

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 02:42:59 AM »
I'm sure this is purely an isolated incident..but we had a bag of the caramel ones and I had them in a ziploc bag. DD decided to put them in the canister with the chocolate kisses and when she did, she saw worms. We looked at both the kisses and the dove chocolates and almost all of the dove chocolates had worms in them. It wasn't an old bag and I had just bought it maybe a couple of weeks earlier. We've decided that when we buy more, we'll keep them in their own container (I ended up throwing out all of the kisses along with the dove chocolates).

eta: there weren't any worms on the counter near the bag or anywhere else that we could see so they were clearly in the chocolates. I don't know if chocolate is like flour in that there may be larvae or eggs or whatever in it from the get-go but it was pretty freaky (as in, freaked us out).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:47:57 AM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 06:43:13 AM »
I remember very clearly when I was little (about 6 years old).  I had some Hershey's kisses hidden away in my room, leftover from whatever holiday had most recently passed. My parents didn't know I had them.  That is until I bit into one and saw a worm wiggling around (actually, I think it was half a worm :-X ) and screamed. My mother came running, saw the kisses and the worm.  She said that sometimes happens with chocolate and threw them out.

Don't know how they get in there, but I suspect it is as you said--eggs or larvae are already present and if the conditions are right, they grow.
USA

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
After DS1 passed his peanut challenge we were trying to convince him to eat peanut butter and thought peanut butter cups would be appealing.  To be good sports, we decided it would be a good idea for him to learn by example  :evil:  So I ate two of them (they were the bite size ones) and went in for a third one when I looked down at it instead of unwrapping it and eating absentmindedly.  I started gagging when I saw the worms.  And then for the better part of the night, I could feel them wiggling around in my belly.  Rational?  No but I ate worms, ewwwwwwwwwwwww.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »
I bought some new valentine themed Dove chocolates today. Milk chocolate w/ strawberry promises and dark chocolate w/ cherry promises. Also found a white/milk chocolate swirled bar that was safe. No warnings on them and I bought them at CVS.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »
Oooooohhhh! Never saw the milk/strawberry! Dark/cherry is mmm!mmm! Good!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »
my kids just ate their white/milk chocolate swirled bars and loved them.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the valentine's stuff.  My Target didn't have it out yesterday, but I'm sure it's coming soon.

Offline nameless

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
I tried the strawberry/milk chocolate ones - pretty good! I'm usually not keen on fake berry or citrus flavors, but these were ok, subtle, I'm sure I'll finish the bag :)  I can have 2 before I'm like, "Eh...tastes like fake strawberry"

I'm happy to see the regular milk, dark, and then the caramel promises in heart form :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 07:14:22 AM »
Haven't seen the milk/strawberry or caramel hearts anywhere around here! Guess I'll have to suffer in silence with my dark/cherry. 
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
I've only seen them at CVS so far.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 05:25:50 PM »
My Walmart had the Strawberry/Milk Chocolate Promises (heart shaped) in the Valentine's Day candy section.

2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
Finally found milk/strawberry @ CVS (TY Jessica).  I have to say- even though I prefer milk to dark chocolate as a rule, I have to vote for dark/cherry! My boys vote for both, lol!
Pennsylvania, USA

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
ew, ew, ew, I don't like them.  EW!! my kids do, though!

2 girls & 3 boys <3