FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Schools and Food Allergies

Food in Schools, Part Deux

(1/15) > >>

ajasfolks2:
LINK to in-boards-here link to original thread:

Food in Schools ~Working List Eyeopener

This is continuation of original thread which I'm in process of moving over manually.  Wanted that whole thing here for emphasis. 

It's pretty eyeopening!  (As was original intent . . . )

So, please feel free to post your latest and greatest "Food In Schools" aggravations and encounters.

Merci.

~e

ajasfolks2:
So, I'll get this party started, part deux.

Today I watched kids pour out of DD's elementary school -- these were the 5th graders, perhaps?

They had cellophane-wrapped paper plates with store-bought chocolate chip cookies

that they had icing glued candies onto

and there were skinny red licorice ropes for other decoration.

I overheard one child say something about it being for math.

CAN WE JUST STOP THE INSANITY NOW?

(yes, that was shouting.)

:banghead:

:nocupcakes:

:paddle: :paddle: :paddle: :paddle: :paddle: :paddle: :paddle: :paddle: :paddle: :paddle: :paddle:

EBrady:
Food rewards as a reward for a FOOD DRIVE to feed those with NO FOOD is truly abominable. The money spent on the "reward" should have gone to the FOOD BANK as well as it could use that to continue to SERVE the community that is in DIRE NEED.

Food rewards for being the class to collect the most toys for a toy drive for needy.

There is nothing defensible about food rewards for these scenarios.

NOTHING.

CMdeux:
Isn't the "reward" for community service activities most ideally the feeling of having done something positive for someone else?

UNSELFISHLY, I mean... as in, 'without regard for personal gain'??    Isn't that what real ALTRUISM means?   ???

EBrady:

--- Quote from: CMdeux on November 22, 2011, 11:37:18 AM ---Isn't the "reward" for community service activities most ideally the feeling of having done something positive for someone else?

UNSELFISHLY, I mean... as in, 'without regard for personal gain'??    Isn't that what real ALTRUISM means?   ???

--- End quote ---

Apparently not in the world we now inhabit.

Entirely incomprehensible to our family.

What are we becoming in this nation?

:disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version