FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hair dye allergy suspected in teen death  (Read 2991 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Hair dye allergy suspected in teen death
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/10/20/hair-dye-allergy-suspected-in-teen-death/

By Katie Moisse

Oct 20, 2011 2:52pm
Hair Dye Allergy Suspected in Teen Death

The death of a British teen who screamed in agony and collapsed moments after coloring her hair has put the spotlight on D-I-Y dye.
Seventeen-year-old Tabatha McCourt from Lanarkshire, England, died in hospital after what medics suspect was a severe allergic reaction to p-phenylenediamine, or PPD, a chemical found in permanent hair dye, the U.K.’s Daily Mail reported.
McCourt, a veteran dyer, began pulling her hair and vomiting 20 minutes after applying the color at a friend’s house, according to the story.
PPD allergies usually cause itchy, red and swollen skin on and around the scalp. But in very rare cases, even a small exposure can cause anaphylaxis, or death.
“Severe acute allergic reactions like this are very rare but not impossible” said Dr. Darrell Rigel, a clinical professor of dermatology at NYU Langone Medical Center. “If it happens, the first thing to do is take an antihistamine. And then get to an emergency room right away.”
Anaphylaxis is caused by a massive release of histamine – the same chemical that brings on hives. An overload of histamine causes blood vessels to dilate causing a dangerous drop in blood pressure. Anaphylaxis is also marked by confusion, difficulty breathing and swelling of the eyes and face.
The Daily Mail also described the case of 29-year-old Mariade Kelly, whose jet-black locks landed her in intensive care earlier this year.
“My eyelids had swelled completely shut, and I couldn’t see,” Kelly told reporters. “I was terrified.”
Although dye boxes come with allergy warnings urging users to test the product on a small patch of skin first, many dye-hards skimp to save time. And for people with severe PPD allergies, the skin test alone could trigger a deadly reaction.
Even for routine dyers who have taken and passed the patch test, small changes in ingredients could trigger allergies to once-benign products. Rigel said cosmetic users should take note of minor reactions and go for an allergy test to avoid a more serious episode later on.
“Usually, the first exposure sensitizes you but doesn’t cause the severe reaction,” he said. “If you know you’re allergic to something, you can avoid it.”

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
Re: Hair dye allergy suspected in teen death
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 10:27:41 PM »
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline krasota

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
PPD can be pretty nasty stuff.

If you're ever somewhere with a place advertising fast-staining henna "tattoos", back away.  It's PPD, not henna.  It stains pitch black very quickly, whereas the lawsone molecule in henna has to oxidize and takes time to develop a brownish-red stain.

--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 03:41:45 PM »
A Toronto Star article says Health Canada previously issued a warning about the black henna tattoos. 

There is suspicion that the tattoos sensitize a person, then they react from the dye.  I don't agree.  More and more I'm thinkng it's the PPD I was reacting to, and I never had those tattoos.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »
Yes, this is a serious problem in terms of occupational sensitization for people who work in salons, too, apparently, SL. 

Most chemists are well aware of the sensitizing potential of certain reagents (or classes of them).  PPD is among them, for sure.

Diazomethane is another highly sensitizing reagent.  A lot of atopic people only get away with working with it a few times. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.