login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: In Memory: Remembering those who've had fatal food reactions  (Read 56269 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Re: In Memory: Remembering those who've had fatal food reactions
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »
Tweeted by @IgECPD

"Shahida Shahid named as teenager who died from suspected allergic reaction following meal at Almost Famous"
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/shahida-shahid-named-teenager-who-8446911

“The woman was rushed to hospital but she sadly died on Monday, 12 January 2015.

“A joint investigation is currently underway involving Greater Manchester Police and the Food Standards Agency to establish the exact circumstances.”

-------------------

Tweeted by @GotEpi

Shahida Shahid: Teen who died after allergic reaction 'told burger restaurant about allergies before meal'
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shahida-shahid-teen-who-died-4990847

Coroner Nigel Meadows said the investigation into Shahida’s death, despite being in its early stages, was a ‘timely reminder’ to the food industry about the significance of providing information to customers with food allergies.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:23:02 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »
This is the first I've heard of this girl.

So young, so sad.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
Oh my goodness.  I hadn't heard either.  :'(

I couldn't read either of the stories linked to above but did see this story. 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2914466/Teenager-collapsed-died-eating-burger-bar-Famous-warned-staff-allergies-meal-fed-chicken-cooked-problem-ingredient.html

It seems the reaction was a bit delayed (though not very--just not immediate). 

She and friends ate in the city's Great Northern Warehouse shopping centre and paramedics were only called when she reached The Printworks, another shopping centre half a mile away.
Manchester Coroner's Court heard how Miss Shahid, from Salford, Manchester, suffered 'irreversible and unsurvivable' brain damage and died three days later.
DI Flint said: 'We understand, although it is not entirely clear, that she indicated to waiting staff what her allergies were and what meal would be appropriate for her.

Miss Shahid, above, who had a number of food allergies as well as being asthmatic, started to feel unwell shortly after finishing the meal

She was advised that a particular chicken dish would be appropriate and that was ordered and consumed. It is understood the dish did contain or was cooked in one of the ingredients she was allergic to.

Miss Shahid, who had a number of food allergies as well as being asthmatic, started to feel unwell near The Printworks shortly after finishing the meal, the inquest heard.

When it became apparent she may have eaten something she was allergic to, she used her inhaler and her epi-pen, which gives a shot of adrenaline to treat severe allergic reactions.

But they had no effect and she collapsed after suffering a cardiac arrest.

An ambulance was called shortly after 8pm and she was taken to the A&E at Manchester Royal Infirmary before being transferred to the intensive care unit. She died on Monday.

The post-mortem examination revealed the provisional cause of death was hypoxic encephalopathy (damage caused to the brain by oxygen starvation) due to anaphylaxis - a severe allergic reaction.

DI Flint told the inquest that the force had launched a joint-investigation into the incident with the Food Standards Agency.
He said laws surrounding information that businesses have to provide to people with allergies had changed last month - and Almost Famous was 'aware' of this.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:05:11 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
Oh my goodness!  :'(

Offline MaryM

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2015, 08:02:20 PM »
So sad :(

Offline GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2015, 07:02:17 AM »
OH NO!  Not again!  How horribly horribly sad! 

Offline my3guys

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2016, 09:46:05 AM »
http://www.startribune.com/peanut-allergy-kills-22-year-old-twin-cities-man/366152021/

He died eating chocolate that had a may contain warning. He had eaten out of that box of chocolates twice earlier without incident. :(

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »
 :'(
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 12:32:33 PM »
 :'(

Saw this on Facebook this morning, sent it to DD to read and learn from.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
All the sources I am seeing for this have used the term "same facility."  And he ate from the box of chocolates two times before without incident.

His funeral is tomorrow in Anoka. That's Garrison Keillor's hometown.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
Epinephrine was used.

This is so sad.

"Brian and his other son, Ryan, administered epinephrine, but Bruce had already gone into cardiac arrest.

Paramedics arrived minutes later and were unsuccessful in reviving Bruce."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/01/22/ramsey-man-22-dies-of-reaction-to-peanuts/