Proposed Federal Legislation re: epinephrine in schools

Started by EBrady, November 14, 2011, 10:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBrady

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/ct-met-durbin-kirk-epi-1115-20111115,0,2712158.story

The School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act is sponsored by Durbin (D-IL) and Kirk (R-IL) and supported by groups including the following:
FAAN
Food Allergy Initiative
American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
American Academy of Pediatrics.

PLEASE feel free to add your group here if you support, and contact info/ways to help support this.

Edited to pull out non-working link.
Cautious, careful people always casting about to preserve their reputation or social standards never can bring about reform. . .
~ Susan B. Anthony, American civil rights leader, 1820-1906

hedgehog

The first link works, the second does not.  Although this would not directly affect my family, I think it is a good law--one that should either already be in place, or not necessary because states already had more common-sense laws or policies. 
USA

ajasfolks2

I've been looking for a link to the actual text of proposed legislation -- if anyone has link, please post so we can see actual language . . .

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

EBrady

Cautious, careful people always casting about to preserve their reputation or social standards never can bring about reform. . .

ajasfolks2

Some related threads here (will add more as I can -- feel free to beat me to it!):

Epi pens and prices (for schools who may be purchasing)

UNLOCK THE EPIPENS!!

EBrady

Actual NAME for the proposed legislation:

School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act

EBrady

EBrady

GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

hezzier

This got me thinking so I stopped by our nurses office yesterday to see if she has been given any Epis for the general populations (I live in IL)...and oh surprise, she hasn't.

Guess I'll call the district nurses office today.

ajasfolks2

hedgehog

DS carries his own epi now, so this does not directly affect us much.  But I just sent e-mails to both my senators giving the reasons for my support of this bill.
USA

hezzier

Quote from: hedgehog on November 16, 2011, 09:38:04 AM
DS carries his own epi now, so this does not directly affect us much.  But I just sent e-mails to both my senators giving the reasons for my support of this bill.

DS has epis at school also, but our nurse has told me on more than one occasion how parents fill out the forms indicating an allergy and then never drop off the epis.  So without the general in case of emergency epis, legally her hands are tied and she can't do anything but call 911.  Nevermind the parents I have run into (2 that I can think of) that are still under the impression that their kids peanut allergies are "mild".

EBrady

Officially introduced!

Senate bill number is S. 1884.

My understanding is that there are submitted letters of endorsement from the following so far:

FAAN
American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
National Association of School Nurses

GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview