login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epipen SHOCK!  (Read 16143 times)

Description: Sticker shock/Short expiration

Offline ctmartin

Epipen SHOCK!
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »

HI, everyone,

I haven't been here for awhile, and for some reason I could not get into my account (I used to post under the screen name ctmartin).  At any rate, just wanted to ask those of you with no insurance or extremely bad insurance (like ours) if you have any advice on getting epi pens for less (is there a discount card I don't know about?  Fingers crossed!!).

I can't believe what I am finding in trying to refill my daughter's epipen jr.  Granted, it has been a few years since I have had to pay out of pocket, but I am getting quotes of $227 for a twinpack!  Oh, and with an expiration of 9/12!!

I remember  the day way back when (4 years ago), when a twinpack cost less than half of that (I paid $90) and the expiration dates were at least 18 months out.  What has happened?  UGH!

Thank goodness, of course, we have never had to use our epipens in the 4 1/2 years since my PA daughter was diagnosed, but it is quite a luxury to consider spending almost $500 a year on meds that will be thrown out at the end of the year.

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Online YouKnowWho

Re: Epipen SHOCK!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »
I am not sure if Dey has a discount card or not.  Not sure if you have Walgreens near, but they do have an insurance card but I don't know if they offer discounts on Epipens or not.

Unfortunately it seems Epi's have gotten higher since the generics have hit the mark.  And with the new design, it seems the expiry date (though call Walgreens or Target because they will order one with the furthest date out possible) is expiring sooner. 

The news is mixed on generic epis on whether or not they are appropriate from my understanding.  Another consideration is to look into the price of Twinject as well.

Hugs - it is so much like car insurance, you have to have it but you hope you never need it.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »
I haven't found any discounts - Sam's Club is often cheaper, but not always.

Also, I sent you a PM (on 9/18/11 if that helps you find it) at the old site letting you know how to get in here.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »
No advice here. We've always had to pay full price. I think walmart might be a bit cheaper than $227 but not a lot. I would find one with a longer date for sure. We try to go with a year minimum.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Scout

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »
we havve a $250 ded for brand name so we always pay out of pocket too......$227 seems high.....I was thinking $150 for a twinpack.....

but yes our store will order new ones in with as far a date out as they can.....so do ask them.....

Offline Firebird

• Committee Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:26 PM »
Just wanted to let you know -- slightly off topic -- that you are likely locked out of your original log in because you had not yet changed registered email to your own valid email.  I'll let Admin know and they will help guide you so you can use your old name if you like.  ~
Username registered for the purpose of Committee Member role 2008 - 2009, and 2011 - 2012.

AKA ajasfolks2

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:17:15 AM »

Thanks for the responses!  I never got the PM,  rebekahc, and I don't know how to access it now (?), but thanks for sending it ;)  firebird, i am sure that is the reason, and i would love to use my old name if possible.  Like I said, I haven't been here since probably this past summer, simply because (and I say this with extreme gratitude) most of my previous posts had to do with my PA daughter's various miserable preschool experiences, and we have actually been blessed with an amazing school for K so there hasn't been much to write!!  But I do love checking in every now and then and "visiting" with you all!!

An update on the epi, though ... I did call Walmart (on my younger daughter's preschool teacher's suggestion), and unless the pharmacist got it wrong over the phone (which I am hoping is not the case), their twinpack is $110.70 ... far better than the prices at Target, CVS and Walgreens.  So I am going to follow up today ...

I was not even aware that there was a generic option?!  I plan to do some research on that as well, and if I find anything interesting I will post back.  I did call Dey yesterday because my daughter's doctor at Duke wrote her a prescription for a regular epipen (not epipen jr), even though she is only 45 pounds.  I wanted to confirm the weight guidelines, because when the prescription was written I was under the impression that the regular epi pen was for >40, but on the Dey website it says >66.  So I verified that (I have no idea why the prescription was written that way, but now I have to hunt down another) and the rep also mention that they have stopped making single paks, which was also news to me.  He said doctors were putting pressure on them to only do twinpaks because they were finding that often times one shot was not sufficient.

Anyway, will keep you posted, and thanks!

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »
I have never seen a twin pack in canada.  Last one we got was a single in sept.

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:47 AM »
Rebekah and I will see what we can do about your username if that is okay with you; we would like for you to have the name you want!

I've missed seeing you around the forum.  I'm really glad about the reason for your scarcity as of late, anyway.   :thumbsup:

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
Ctmartin - the PM is at the other site with your name and new password for here.

Looking at Walgreens drug plan, I didn't see brand name Epi, only generic (and cost is much lower but not sure if it would be lower overall).

I did see however they had Twinject (each pen has two doses from my understanding) at a definite price difference.

I'm on the fence with Epi (namebrand) right now.  I am concerned after reading a few stories about the new Epi's misfiring and bending (one ultimately led to a young man's death because the needle bent).  I am also not crazy about the larger size.

As far as the generics go - yes it's cheaper but not everyone feels it is equal from my understanding.  Some of them are not rated high enough to be considered a comparable replacement. 

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline ctmartin

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »

Just thought you guys would get a nice laugh out of this.  So, I am not normally a walmart shopper because there is only one nearby and it really isn't in that great of a location.  However, when I called (TWICE ... just to verify), I was almost floored when I heard the price of $110 for the twinpak.  So, of course I drove out there tonight, and when I get there the pharmacist said that they misquoted me and that it is really $188 (the same price they quoted me at target).  So, you can imagine how livid I was (!), but I was ready to pay the full price and be done with it.  Funny thing is, it wasn't until they took my insurance card that they noticed the price was incorrect.  In their computer it still was listed as $110.  So, seeing as I have a $500 deductible that I would not meet anyway, I told them to ring it without the insurance, and they did!  So, thankfully, I still got the price of $110, but they will probably fix their computers from this point forward!!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
I decided to try the mailorder.  The weather has been cooler, and I called, and was told I could get 3 twin packs from Express Scripts for $30.  They faxed the MD office, and I called and explained, etc...  All was fine, but I seem to have received two twin packs of a generic epinephrine auto injector, at $10 for both twin packs.  Cost is awesome, but I don't like the design.  It is a bit different, and requires more steps before being able to inject and no trainer pen. 

ours actually looks different.  Case is 1/2 black, 1/2 yellow, and the caps on the pen are blue. 

The case requires a twist to open, and then there are caps on both ends to remove.  These are technically extras and I have 2 refills on them.  I guess I could try a good one in an orange.  Just for the feel of it. 

Thinking of calling the ped office to be sure they are okay with us getting generic. 

Anyone using these?  I worry the different look and case and uncapping procedure will slow response or confuse people.  One company, and a single design was more foolproof, even though options are good.  On the plus side, it is more streamlined than the most recent epi-pen redesign.   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:33:31 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »
What does the school nurse think?  I haven't seen these before.  I'd have to retrain everyone including myself who does.....not....like....change...in stressful situations.

Offline nameless

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »
That generic is only the generic for Adrenaclick, and is not a generic substitution for Epipen.

I think...from what I can find.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline nameless

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England