FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epipen SHOCK!  (Read 16142 times)

Description: Sticker shock/Short expiration

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: Epipen SHOCK!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 10:02:21 PM »
looks like twin ject   had the two caps etc. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
A pharmacy friend sent me this: http://www.pharmacytimes.com/p2p/p2pepinephrine-0910

Just read it and I agree, but it is from 2010.  Laws/ethics may have changed or evolved since then. 

Anyway, I will call the ped and get the real ones.  Dd was not happy to see something different and nobody will know how to use it.  I don't like the two cap system. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
Just spoke with ped office.  The nurse I sloke too thought this was very odd, and was not even familiar with epipen generics.  Did not think it would be a problem to re-send.  Hopefully they fill it no problem, given that this was just filled.  Ugh.  PITA, but will save me up to $900.  Was trying to do it now, while the weather is not at any extremes. 

Offline nameless

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 05:20:10 PM »
Right, but my RPh friend that is all still true in that link.

So - whoever the mail-order retailer is...is doing something wrong if your doc specifically wrote Epi-pen.

~ Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
Becca, I am so sorry and I know your pain and frustration.  We had that company after they bought Medco until last January. 

They messed up so many times and they were so specific about what they wanted a doctor to write or they would do what they thought was best.  At one point I had way too much medication for DD and I told them to stop sending it!  Of course I was charged for all of it too! 

With them it is dotting I's and crossing T's.  I finally would call them first, ask what they wanted the doctor to write, and then forwarded that to my doctor's office for submission back to them.

So happy to have changed....our current company is sooooo much easier to deal with.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 01:10:28 PM »
Yes!  They send us way too much medication, faxing for doctor orders themselves!  I got 90 days of thyroid meds a few weeks into my current bottle, also a 90 day supply. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »
Follow up on the generic epinephrine issue.  The doc sent a RX for the Epipens, No substitutions, and they were holding the RX, because it was too soon to process a refill.  I had to get very firm and explain this was not a refill, but a new Rx, in order to get the proper design of pen, the brand specific epipen.  That what I had seems to be the generic of a Twinject, which my dd has never used and was nervous about carrying, having never practiced.  They have no trainers in the packages either.  So, two supervisors later, and finally a pharmacist, and they are expediting the new RX, and will process a $10 refund for the wrong thing they sent.  Not that I care, but hey, it is $ for nothing, so I will take the refund.  They will send a mailer so I can send these wrong ones back.  Fine with me, but I would hope they would not dispense them again! 

Just very annoyed.  It is a time suck.  I asked to go up the chain because I was concerned that they are making this substitution regularly, and it is not technically equivalent.  Yes the medication inside is, but not the pen design, and this matters.  TYVM, Nameless for the link.  They are saying it was an error, this one time, and it is not their policy to do so.  Supposedly documented it, which is why they want the pens returned. 

It was rather cathartic to vent on them all.  As I do so, I do apologize and explain that I understand it is not the CSR's fault, but this error has cost me several phone calls, 45 minutes alone tonight, cost time at my doctors office, both for the person who spoke to me, had to explain to the doctor who had to send a new RX.  Just so wasteful! 

I do not like Express Scripts most of the time.  I do like some things.  It is usually helpful that they contact the doctor to renew things, and at times I don't have to do that.  But as PC said, we then can end up with too much medication.  This can be a waste of $$ if we end up not needing it or changing meds.  I want the old days back.  I miss having a flat co-pay or % plan.