FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hostess Cupcakes and Donettes  (Read 6695 times)

Description: ?Warning for Nuts gone from package?

Offline joshsmom

Hostess Cupcakes and Donettes
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
It appears that these items do not have a warning anymore. Has anyone called on these? I always buy the Walmart Brand since they are safe. I used to buy Hostess until they became unsafe.

Offline Jessica

Re: Hostess Cupcakes and Donettes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
I haven't looked lately but before, I found Hostess to be incredibly inconsistent with labeling. Some packages would have a may contain nuts warning (usually walnut) and some that are from a plant that I was told used peanuts/tree nuts would have no warning. Maybe they were in transition.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »
I hope it will be consistent. My ds loves powdered donuts and it really is a pain to drive all the way to Walmart to get them which is why he hardly has them. He would just be thrilled to have another option. It is funny that the small things are important to a 7 year old! Twinkies do still have a warning.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 03:26:32 AM »
I've noticed that the Little Debbie brand mini donuts in the bags don't have a warning on them. I asked about them a while back but can't remember what people thought of it-I do remember at least one saying they would trust Little Debbie's labeling.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Elliana

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »
We have avoided these things as well due to the inconsistency of labeling.  I can't ever keep track of what's safe and what's not, and how it's all labeled.  I hope they will change their system.
PN/TN allergic
USA

Offline Scout

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:04:36 AM »
they seem to be consistent here....always....with plant codes clearly marked......maybe its regional but......we use these all the time.

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 10:16:43 AM »
I have found consistency with the plant codes.  I have called Hostess/Wonder and have always been given a list of plant codes that are PN/TN free.  I always use the plant code in determining safety as I have also found inconsistent warning labels. 
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »
I think it was earlier this year someone said they found a warning on a previously *safe* plant code. Has anyone gotten updated plant codes lately? When I call they act like I'm asking them to give up a limb.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline maeve

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
I think the inconsistency is a plant/regional issue as I have found the cupcakes without a warning when visiting Connecticut but they all have nut warnings here in Virginia.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline starlight

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 05:32:32 AM »
I agree with Maeve.  I am in CT and they always read safe here, but I've looked on vacation and found them labeled as unsafe.
USA