FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Did sour patch kids have a manufacturer change?  (Read 6478 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

Did sour patch kids have a manufacturer change?
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:42:15 AM »
DH picked some up for Christmas.  It now says Kraft, made in Canada.  I would swear that they weren't made by Kraft in the past and we generally avoid Kraft if possible.  I thought we used to let the boys eat these.  Does anyone have information about this?  I should pick up something else if they're not safe.
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline hedgehog

Re: Did sour patch kids have a manufacturer change?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:46:25 AM »
I just looked some info on it.  Sour Patch had been made by Cadbury Adams.  They were bought by Kraft in 2010.  Sour Patch is still made by Cadbury Adams, but that is now a division of Kraft. At least that is what I could piece together doing a quick search and putting together several things I found, mostly on Wikipedia. 
USA

Offline brownie

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:52 PM »
wow - thanks!  that would explain why I didn't think they were Kraft before.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »
Yes, Kraft bought Cadbury Adams last year, so Cadbury Adams is now a division of Kraft.

Sour Patch Kids are still made by Cadbury Adams here in Canada, along with Fuzzy Peach, Sour Cherry Blasters, Swedish Fish, etc.  I dončt think you need to avoid Kraft as Kraft is also very allergy aware, and have several lines of peanut-free products available as well

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/products/m-o/mrchristiessnakpaks.aspx
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:00:33 AM »
I might be mistaken but I don't think the OP lives in Canada. I think she just had food that said made in Canada (not sure about Kraft but some things we buy around here are made in Canada). Some don't consider kraft USA to be very allergy-aware.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline brownie

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 07:22:11 AM »
Nope - I do live in the US, and while they may be allergy aware, they are rude and not forthcoming with information when you call them.  So I've tried to avoid them.  In this case I think I will let it go since we've already purchased the candy and it is made in Canada.  Otherwise the only thing I've finally allowed my kids to eat from them is Oreos because my kids wanted them so badly and cheese. 

Brownie

Offline candyguru

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
Nope - I do live in the US, and while they may be allergy aware, they are rude and not forthcoming with information when you call them.  So I've tried to avoid them.  In this case I think I will let it go since we've already purchased the candy and it is made in Canada.  Otherwise the only thing I've finally allowed my kids to eat from them is Oreos because my kids wanted them so badly and cheese. 

Brownie

Yes, you and Jessica must be talking about Kraft USA.  When I have called Kraft Canada, they have always been helpful and never rude.  I have never called Kraft USA, and I guess that's a good thing as it would not be pleasant to talk to rude CSRs

And since Kraft Canada is allergy aware, that is why I suggested there is no need to be worried about Sour Patch Kids being made by Kraft Canada,as both Cadbury Adams Canada and Kraft Canada are allergy aware. The candy is still being made in the same Cadbury Canada manufacturing facility as it was made in in prior years.

Kraft USA must be terrible.. so many people here seem to hate that company.  Fortunately I don't have to deal with them. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)