login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookies  (Read 4082 times)

Description: Reaction?

Offline YouKnowWho

Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookies
« on: January 03, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »
So Enjoy Life has a new crunchy cookie out (and both of my boys love Enjoy Life cookies).  DS1 who is allergic to wheat, rye, barley and egg has complained of a scratchy throat after eating them a few times.  He kept eating them because we attributed the reactions to other things (like at a party where pizza was served, we assumed his cup had been touched by pizza hands - he has a very small threshold when it comes to reacting).

I could blow it off and say it was just a crunchy cookie and may feel like a foreign feeling when eating but he eats Lucy's cookies with no issue and several other "crunchy" cookies. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline krasota

Re: Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookies
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »
I felt that, but it didn't feel like a reaction.  It's the feeling I get when I have too much sugar/fruit juice.  Not an allergic reaction, just irritation without there really being inflammation.  Scratchy.  Sometimes things with buckwheat and millet flour give me that weird metallic feeling in my throat.  I'm not at all allergic to buckwheat, it's just something weird.  It's hard to explain.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »
Thank you Krasota.  I know EL does stringent testing so I was thinking it couldn't be them (hence the multiple times he ate them but the coincidences were so strange.  I don't normally continue to feed the kids foods that they have questionable reactions to - I think even DS1 was under a failure to believe it was the cookies mindset as well.

It has deterred him from wanting them anymore.  My first thought was the buckwheat as well but he eats buckwheat waffles.  I just thought it was odd because Enjoy Life is one of the trusted brands.

Oh well, DS2 loves them (and no "reactions" for him) so he can finish them off (too expensive to waste). 

Think I will stick to the chewy cookies in the future for DS1 (though DS2 loves them as well - he just doesn't have to have them and given the price, I am loathe to let him have them).  Don't understand the obsession LOL
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
moved post to more appropriate thread
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:49:43 AM by hezzier »

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this post was about a reaction.  I will move my complaint about their packaging.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »
Six years later and DS1 eats these with no issue.  DS2 is no longer a fan (my pocket book says thank you).  And DD can't eat them without a reaction  :insane:
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »
Some of them contain sunflower oil. They label which vegetable oil(s) they use in America but not always in Canada, oddly enough.

They started adding sorghum to a bunch of their cookies too, which means I can no longer eat those varieties. Every label, every time.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
We think it is the sunbutter they use and not the oils - she doesn't react to sunflower oil in other products.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »
Anybody know whats going on with Enjoy Life?  I haven't been able to get Sunseed crunch bars in like 6 months in Canada.  We found some "new" flavours a couple of weeks ago but they are VILE.

Over christmas I ordered some on Amazon.com and brought them back from Michigan with me but I'm not going down again until April. 

Grrr

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »
If you want me to check around down here, just let me know.  I'll be happy to ship some if I can find them.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »
I'm guessing it has to do with the new packaging and taking time to translate it and cycle it through the system up here?  I have seen them fairly recently (January) at London Drugs.  Their online store has them in stock too:
https://www.londondrugs.com/enjoy-life-chewy-bars---sunseed-crunch---5-pack/L9786807.html
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum