FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 7 yr old girl died at school in VA on 1/2/12  (Read 35430 times)

Description: Peanut allergy

Offline SilverLining

Re: 7 yr old girl died at school in VA on 1/2/12
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »
The nurse said that if a child has a reaction she is not allowed to use another child`s epi, because then if the child whose epi it was has a reaction, then there will be no epi for that child.  I guess they all only have one epi at school????  Cannot figure that out.

My son carries one and has a spare in the office.  He rarely forgets his (abut once per year).  If his was used on someone else, that could mean he doesn't have the spare at school for a few days.  The pharmacy doesn't stock them, and I don't always have extra scripts with the pharmacy.

I'd be pretty po'd if he ever needed his and it wasn't available because the school gave it to someone else.  Either the school or that other parent didn't pay for one for that child, so am I going to be on the hook to pay for the replacement?

Call me nasty.  Call me heartless.  But, each parent should be supplying their own child's epi's and each school should be keeping extras that they (the school) provide.

And I'll include as part of the risk the fact that in dealing with a child in anaphylaxis and calling 9-1-1 and contacting the parents of that child....what are the chances the parent that purchased the epi gets overlooked in all the commotion and doesn't get a call?

Offline rainbow

« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
This article from Psychology Today addresses the moral responsibility of school staff.  Interesting that Psych Today is publishing a viewpoint, so this is getting some needed attention.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/here-there-and-everywhere/201201/allergy-death-school-when-do-morals-override-policy

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2012, 07:43:41 AM »
moving to other thread
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:49:44 AM by lakeswimr »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
Tweeted by @NutFreeWok

"Schools to face jury in allergy death suit"
http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2014-07-30/News/Schools_to_face_jury_in_allergy_death_suit.html

Laura Pendleton’s $10 million wrongful death lawsuit against a public health nurse and a school clinic assistant has been scheduled for trial in Chesterfield Circuit Court April 20.

daughter, Amarria Johnson, died Jan. 2, 2012

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2014, 04:24:29 PM »
I'd go sit in that court room and spectate if my life would allow the time .  .  .

I'll bet it settles before court date, though.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
Note to self, and anyone else interested:

court date, per that article, set for April 20, 2015

Don't know how to search the court docket there, but will try to figure it out, so can post changes to date if publicized.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »
Tweeted by @IgECPD

"Mom’s lawsuit against Chesterfield Schools revived after daughter’s peanut allergy death"

http://wtvr.com/2015/06/04/peanut-allergy-defamation-lawsuit/

A defamation lawsuit filed by a Chesterfield mother against Chesterfield County Schools officials will go to trial now after the Virginia Supreme Court reversed a lower court’s decision to throw out the case.

declared that Ms. Pendleton was a bad mother — the most hurtful and disparaging of labels

Pendleton’s wrongful death lawsuit against Chesterfield School is scheduled for October in Chesterfield County Court.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
Fuckers.  Nothing more.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
In her lawsuit, Pendleton maintains that she brought an EpiPen to Hopkins Elementary prior to her daughter’s death, only to be rebuffed by a clinic aide who stated that the school already had one that Johnson could use in case of an allergic reaction.

Despite Pendleton’s attempt to give the school her daughter’s life-saving medication, the suit claims, school officials made a series of public statements in the days following Johnson’s death that focused solely on parents’ role in the execution of the school system’s severe allergy plan.

“I think you have to evaluate their words in the context of what was going on,” Krudys said during a hearing last year. “They were unmistakably saying, ‘We can’t do anything unless the parent brings in an EpiPen.’ They knew the significance of their statements. They were clearly saying that this woman is to blame.

I cannot get over how hateful it is for the school to have issued public statements engineered to blame the mother.  This seems unnecessary even if the school's version of the facts (that Pendleton didn't bring the epis in) is true - you don't have to get that information OUT to the public to win the inevitable law suit and you don't elevate the school in anyone's eyes by doing so.  These statements were intended to intimidate as well as re-victimize. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:07:14 PM by TwoDDs »