FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Talk to me about antibiotic allergies  (Read 4008 times)

Description:

Offline Momcat

Talk to me about antibiotic allergies
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »
DS was diagnosed yesterday with pneumonia.  He was given 4.3cc's of Rocephin (injected) and about two hours later, I gave him 7.5 ml of Zithromax liquid.  About half an hour after the liquid, he started getting itchy and had a couple of hives on his wrist and face. His lips were noticeably swollen.  Since his breathing was already compromised by the pneumonia, I was really worried!  I gave him 2.5 tsp Benadryl and called the doctor who said to bring the Epipen just in case and take him to urgent care.  We spent 2hrs in urgent care, and the swelling and hives resolved.  Then we gave him 2tsp Zyrtec before bed.  This morning, we took him back for a follow-up and he was prescribed Augmentin liquid on the theory that one of the antibiotics caused the allergic reaction.

Which one do you think it was more likely to be?  He has tolerated Zithromax in the past.  He has never had a cephalosporin antibiotic before (except possible exposure through my breastmilk when he was a toddler.)  Could he have reacted to the Rocephin the first time he got it (after approx 2 hrs?) Even though there was no swelling or hives at the injection sites during the allergic reaction?  Is it more likely to be the Zithromax?  What about the Motrin he took after the injections (for pain and fever)? 

I am concerned about possible breakthrough hives today after the Augmentin because the other two drugs are still in his system.  Will he end up being listed as allergic to all the antibiotics? DD is already allergic to Amoxicillin (which I think is the same as Augmentin).  Is DS more likely to be allergic to that, too?  I am worried about switching meds and creating resistant bacteria in his lungs...
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Talk to me about antibiotic allergies
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:43:10 AM »
I can't comment on your kiddo as his experience is not the same as mine or DS1's.

but recently I was put on amoxicillin for a sinus infection.  On day 8, during the night before I felt off and kind of yucky but could not describe what I felt, got up, took a shower, looked in the mirror and gasped in shock.  From my jaw bone to my ankle bone I was one big nasty rash.  It started to itch like poison ivy.  Horrible.  Now I have taken this med in the  past and the doctor said it happens to lots of people and I can no longer take that family of anitibiotics.

A couple years ago, my son was given Keflex at the doctors office and we came home with a script.  In less than one hour he started to vomit horribly and when I put him in the tub to clean him up, he was neck to knee horrible rash.  I called and they had me bring him right back (they are closer than the hospital).  It was an allergic reaction and he can not have that family of antibiotics.  He was on amoxicillin 3 weeks ago for an ear infection and he does fine on those.  I was told it happens to a lot of people.

Sorry your kiddo is going through this and I hope the augmentin works and there is no reaction to it.  Aveeno Baby Oatmeal tub stuff made my rash feel better - or perhaps it was in my head, LOL!  I avoided Benedryl because I needed to function and if I take that, I'm way too sleepy!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:14:49 AM »
DS gets super-hivey from Amoxicillin, but takes Augmentin just fine.  He also reacts to Duracef.

He went through extensive antibiotic testing, and it was determined that what he has is "serum sickness", which differs from a true allergy.  We actually carry a letter from his allergist that specifies that in an emergency he can have oral penicillins, but not never via IV. 

Don't know if that helps.  Sorry about the pneumonia - seems to be the season for it.  :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
Augmentin is an oral penicillin.  It is amoxicillin + clavulinic acid.  If someone is allergic to amoxicillin, they would be allergic to augmentin just like if someone is allergic to peanuts, they would be allergic to peanut butter.  Some of the rashes described above could be viral rashes or they could be allergic.  It is hard to know.

Offline Momcat

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
I've never seen lip swelling with viral hives, only skin involvement... has anyone else seen lip swelling with viral hives?
Currently Home Schooling

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
All over rash and joint swelling with a sulfa drug within 24 hours.  Family history of sulfa drug allergies (and yes, I know not good enough to say that I would be allergic too but I also had other drug allergies).  Similar to my ibuprofen reaction.  Aspirin was a full blown ana rxn.  I know my pcp mentioned with the ibuprofen allergy that I should have never had sulfa but I keep forgetting to ask for more details (she was not the prescribing physician). 

One thing to keep in mind that drugs don't exit the body as quickly as food so you may have an issue with recurrent hives for a period of time.  I had issues for 4-6 weeks with each reaction, including allergy cup full reactions (like Pantene shampoo causing hives all the way down my back where it rinsed off whereas before the best it ever did was maybe cause dandruff).

Hugs on the pneumonia - been there a few times in this house with me and two kids. 

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Momcat

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »
Thanks, all.  It's a bit scary!  I guess I should feel lucky that we've never had pneumonia before  :misspeak:
Currently Home Schooling

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »
As a kid I would vomit violently from the liquid amoxo.  Nobody believed me that it was the taste when I was a kid.  I am totally fine with the pill form as an adult.  The smell of the liquid still makes me want to yack. 

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »
Just seeing this.  How awful to be dealing with pneumonia and then a reaction on top of it.  :grouphug:

How's he doing now?

Offline Momcat

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
Thanks, Mookie  :)

He's doing a lot better.  The rocephin really knocked back the infection, so I guess it was worth the (what turned out to be) minor allergic reaction.  He's on augmentin now, and tolerating it while taking zyrtec.  It seems to be working on the pneumonia, so I am relieved! 
Currently Home Schooling

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
 ;D I hope he's fully better soon!

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
As a kid I would vomit violently from the liquid amoxo.  Nobody believed me that it was the taste when I was a kid.  I am totally fine with the pill form as an adult.  The smell of the liquid still makes me want to yack.

Likewise, children's tylenol. And pedialyte, which almost landed me in the hospital before my parents figured out what was going on.
The 3 is silent.

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »
I've never seen lip swelling with viral hives, only skin involvement... has anyone else seen lip swelling with viral hives?

Momcat, I was referring to other posts on this thread when I mentioned that a rash while taking antibiotics could be viral.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:09:41 AM by Carefulmom »

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »
My doctor could tell by looking at mine that it was not viral - and mine itched like poison ivy......................I don't know if a viral rash itches.

Offline Momcat

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 10:46:18 AM »
I asked the pediatrician yesterday, and he told me that lip swelling can occur with viral hives.  And I do know from past experience that viral hives itch.

So, basically we don't really know what happened with DS, and the tests for antibiotic allergies are not very reliable. 

Currently Home Schooling