FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: National School Board Association  (Read 1783 times)

Description:

Offline MamaZu

National School Board Association
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
http://www.nsba.org/foodallergy

Came across this today, haven't had a chance to read all of it but may be helpful info to share.

twinturbo

Re: National School Board Association
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »
Like most of the up to date FA management policies I read they're reassuringly accurate or at least increasingly accurate and that's good for all parties. The elephant in the room no one is acknowledge is food in the curriculum/classrooms as a physical, medical barrier to full education access equal to non-affected peers. In one of the documents allergen management in the classroom is mentioned in passing and accommodations specifically are worded as "parent requests" when "feasible".

Much of the FA management on paper looks good, it's absolutely encouraging but lagging is having an honest, realistic dialogue about what accommodations are under 504 for disability because it's food IMHO. Undue burden, fundamental nature, doctor ordered are a lot less vague, a lot less personal request from parents and let's face it about something like "feasible" when so many people will justify the use of food for pleasure's sake rather than fundamental to the lesson plan.

One other unwritten player I think goes on unaddressed is PTOs as budgets dwindle and parent volunteers help run a school. It seems like they get an unwelcome seat to the table between parents and administration when it comes to FA 504s or food allergy management policy.

Am I way off base in comparison to everyone else? Could be specific to the schools we've seen, my situation, so on.