login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Maidrites  (Read 2001 times)

Description: crock pot or stove top

Offline GingerPye

Maidrites
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »
I thought I'd share this.  It's really good -- just like what I can get at the MaidRite.  I am making it today in the crockpot -- I doubled it so I can freeze some of it.

It's from IowaGirlEats.com and I made just a teeny change (the Worc sauce).

"Mom's Maid-Rites"

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped OR 2 T dried, minced onion
1 beef buillion cube
1/2 cup water
Pepper  (couple of shakes)
1 1/2 T soy sauce + 1 1/2 T steak sauce OR 2 T Worcestershire sauce

Stovetop:
Saute' beef and onions until cooked.  Drain and return to pan.  Add other ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

Crockpot:
Saute' beef and onions until cooked.  Drain and place in crockpot.  Add other ingredients.  Cook on low for up to 4 hours.

This is my part:  serve on buns with ketchup, mustard, and sliced bread-and-butter pickles (Or dill, if you go that way) and a spoon.  YUMMMM.

BTW:  I notice she has another recipe for quinoa and cheese (instead of mac n cheese -- no pasta).  Maybe someone here can use it?    It's in the January 18 blog posting.   www.IowaGirlEats.com
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Janelle205

Re: Maidrites
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
I should make these sometime.  While I don't like them (ground meat texture issues - I'm weird), I've been telling fiancee that he has to try one, and the Maid Rite in my hometown closed a few years ago, so I haven't been able to take him.  I don't know of anywhere in Ohio that serves them. 

I always bought school lunch on maid-rite days.  I never ate the sandwich, but at our school, they always served them with green beans and a HUGE home-made cinnamon roll, made by this lovely grandmother that worked in our school cafeteria.