login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Baked Milk - Goldfish OK, now what?  (Read 27421 times)

Description:

Offline Carefulmom

Re: Baked Milk - Goldfish OK, now what?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »
What does the allergist say?  I`d suggest buying a frozen pizza where you can read ingredients, bake it in the oven longer than it says, and let your ds try a little bit.  Only if the allergist says okay, though.

Offline Ree

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »
She said to try it and doesn't want to do a full milk challenge until he's eating pizza or cooked cheese at home.

What about mac & cheese?  If I cooked the Kraft mac & cheese as directed on the box, and then baking it in the oven for 30-40 minutes?  He really wants to try it, since my other boys eat it every once it awhile.

DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA

Online my3guys

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »
FWIW, on Mt. Sinai's stage list, pizza would be stage 2 after baked muffin, and mac and cheese would be stage 3 after pizza is passed.  They've figured out the stages by the amount of milk protein in a serving of food.  Since your allergist said it was ok, I would do as Carefulmom suggested, and buy a frozen pizza and overcook it a little. Again, FWIW, Mt. Sinai recommended Amy's brand.  That's the one my ds has been eating since he began this journey.  They do have a warning made in a facility with tree nuts, but if I recall correctly, it's only pine nuts, and they have very strict cleaning procedures.

If you still feel uncomfortable, would your allergist let you bring the pizza into the office for a 1x challenge?

Offline Ree

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 08:18:52 AM »
I'm glad I asked about the mac & cheese!  I'll hold off on that. I was worried about Amy's since it has the nut warning...Is your ds allergic to nuts?

I think I'm concerned about his anxiety more than a reaction.  He's very nervous and I've allowed him to pace himself in this.  He started with 3-5 goldfish and he's increased it when ready.  He's not ready for pizza, but I feel like we should try it.

Thanks!
DS1 (11) - PA
DS3 (7) - KNA

Online my3guys

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 08:30:13 AM »
Yep he's allergic to nuts, not sure about pine nuts specifically.  There may be other brands out there that just make pizza (Without the pine nuts).  Take a look, see what you find.  I probably sound casual about this...I was amazed the day my ds ate pizza, flat out floored.  I would tell your allergist that he's feeling very nervous and see what they advise.  Good luck!

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
When I heat frozen pizza at home, I buy the brand Red Barron.  I really don`t remember if I called on it or just read this board to decide it was safe.  Dd is allergic to peanuts and also avoiding tree nuts.  Dd has had a bit of mac and cheese, but it definitely looks way cheesier than pizza.  She has done okay on it, but I only let her have half a serving.  The cheese is also runnier on mac and cheese than on pizza.

Another tip is to let the pizza cool a bit before giving it to your ds, if you decide to do it.  Dd has found that if it is really hot and the cheese is runny, she gets a bit of lip swelling in a small area where the pizza touched her lower lip.  Allergist said this is okay, but it may not be okay for your situation.  Dd has found if she waits about 10 - 15 minutes after the pizza comes out of the oven, the cheese is harder and she does not get any lip swelling. 

I was amazed, too.  Today a club dd is in did campus clean up for two hours after school and the teacher got pizza to reward the kids.  Dd had one slice of Little Caesar`s large pepperoni pizza and no symptoms.  Unlike your ds (Ree), dd was thrilled about getting to try pizza.  She had been wanting to have it for years.  In fact at one point in time, she was asking for a cap rast to be drawn to see if her milk was low enough for a challenge so that she could hopefully pass and eat pizza.  It was only after my3guys posted that her ds could have pizza that I called the allergist and he said to try it.  Dd was already on baked milk in things like cookies or bread.  I never thought she would be able to have pizza.

If you do it, I would definitely do frozen pizza with ingredients first.  You know more about what he is consuming than if he tries Little Caesars or another pizza place.

Offline Ree

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
I looked for Red Baron cheese, but could only find 4-cheese.  He got sick on pepperoni last year, so I want to make sure not to confuse the issue.  Not that it matters...he's just not ready. :(

BUT, he ate Cheez-Its today!  About 10 of them, no problem.  It's still probably in phase 1, but I feel like we've made more progress by adding another food with milk.. :)
DS1 (11) - PA
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »
That is wonderful about the cheese-its! Congratulations!  Dd almost never eats plain cheese pizza.  I am totally guessing here, but I would think that a plain cheese pizza would have more cheese than a pepperoni pizza.  I know this is not scientific, but I look at the amount of calcium on the label.  If it is high, like 20% or 25%, then I figure there is a lot of cheese.  Since he got sick on pepperoni, I wonder if you could find another kind that isn`t just plain cheese.  We have asked at pizza places and they did say there is more cheese on a cheese pizza than a pepperoni or other topping pizza.  Don`t know if the same holds true for frozen pizza, though.

I would guess that cheese-its probably have more milk than cookies or bread, so that is progress.

bonestable

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
What I do is make my own pizza, so I can control the amount of cheese.  I make dough in the breadmaker.  I haven't used those premade bases, but that would be an option too.  Then I put DD's toppings of choice on it and bake it.

I started off using almost all Daiya with just a tiny bit of real shredded cheese.

The plan is to slowly increase the amount of real cheese and decrease the cooking time.

Offline Ree

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 07:08:51 AM »
Thanks Carefulmom & bonestable!

Seasonal allergies are hitting us now.  I think it might be awhile. :-/

DS1 (11) - PA
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline Ree

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »
I finally did it!  I gave my DS one piece of VERY overcooked Red Baron pizza!  He loved it and so far has had no symptoms.  He started with 1 small bite, then increased it every 10-15 minutes.  After about 1 hour, he finished the whole piece.   Before cooking it, I scraped off a layer of cheese so there was only 1 layer shredded on the top. 

After he took the last bite, he asked for something to drink because of the taste.  But, that's what he does when he eats goldfish, so I'm trying to ignore it. 

I read this thread right before giving it to him to get my courage up... Thanks so much for all your support and encouragement!!  ;D
DS1 (11) - PA
DS3 (7) - KNA

Online my3guys

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »
 :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: Pizza can really be a game changer for these kids since it's the go-to food at parties!  YAY!!!!! So glad he ate the slice without a problem!

Offline Ree

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »
Thanks my3guys!  I think I'm still in shock and hope I have the courage to do it again!
DS1 (11) - PA
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »
Ree, that's so awesome! (Took me a while to see your thread.) The baked milk really is a miracle. I hope it keeps going well for you guys!
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Online my3guys

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
bump