FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pepperidge Farms birthday cake  (Read 9442 times)

Description: Peanut safe

Offline MandCmama

Pepperidge Farms birthday cake
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
M (PA only) had a birthday party today. I know he must be as sick of eating bloody cupcakes, as I am of making them. I was looking around for something a little more special ( and since egg allergic bro wouldn't be there I had more options). PF makes an actual mini bday cake... I'd say 4-6 serving. It was in the freezer section. I just took it out 2 hrs per party and sent the whole box along ( so I didn't have eggy crumbs at home). M and DH loved it! I had no idea it exsisted, so I thought I'd share.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline hedgehog

Re: Pepperidge Farms birthday cake
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:13:01 AM »
That is my birthday cake most years!  I bake for everyone else's birthday, but don't want to bake for my own.  WE don't do bakery cakes, so DS can eat it.  But the PF frozen cakes are a good solution--everyone in the family can eat them, and I don't have to bake my own cake.  They aren't bad, either (OK, I much prefer my own, but for mass-produced, store-bought, they taste pretty good).
USA

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
I didn't know those cakes were safe. Has anyone called on these. They were my favorite growing up. I don't want to get my hopes up :-) Are they safe for tree nuts too?

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
It's been some time since I called, but I am comfortable with their labeling policy. We use their frozen rolls, fresh breads and crackers all the time. I didn't  check the other flavors since the bday cake was perfect! And yes, reads safe for TN.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:13:22 PM »
I know one of the cakes contains walnuts.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »
This information does not pertain to Pepperidge Farm but more of a handy birthday treats when dealing with conflicting allergies in a home.  I cannot bake with gluten at home because of DS1 and many of the gluten free items are cross contaminated with nuts. 

My easy solution is to pick up Freed's cupcakes from the Walmart bakery and freeze them.  This is where it gets slightly tricky - our Walmarts carry their own brand and the Freed's brand - both have a Walmart label on them.  However, the Freed's cupcakes (they are mini-cupcakes), specifically say Made In A Nut Free Facility on the label.   I have bolded out that there are two seemingly identical brands at Walmart and one is truly not safe for nut allergies.  Typical of other Walmart brand products, the unsafe ones are clear about their nut warnings.  The Freed's brand also has cupcakes for all types of seasons - they currently have Valentine's day ones out now.  Others have mentioned seeing Pink for breast cancer. 

I typically take two out of the freezer prior to leaving, put in a leftover container and by cake time about two hours into the party, they are defrosted.

Now if I could only find a similar gluten and egg free product for my other child because even if I am able to freeze the cupcake part, the icing is generally a disaster when it defrosts after freezing.  Gets expensive having tubes and tubs of icing handy as well.  Though the tubes will last and he is happy when I do Enjoy Life cookies with a dollop of icing. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
YKW- have you seen the spray cans of Pillsbury? Need no refrigeration and are good for a lLong time after opening. They last us 6-9 months.
Pennsylvania, USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »
YKW- have you seen the spray cans of Pillsbury? Need no refrigeration and are good for a lLong time after opening. They last us 6-9 months.

These are very bad to have in the house when stressed...so easy to put a dollop on anything you can find.

Offline HJK

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
Arcadia,

Is the nut you are referring to coconut?

DS allergic to peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
She said walnut so I'm guessing it's truly walnuts and not coconut.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline jessma03

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »
Are the spray cans of frosting safe. They could come in very handy. Always have cupcakes in the freezer but hate to have to open frosting to frost one cupcake.
DS--Allergic to Peanuts,Eggs,Seafood,Garlic andmany outdoor allergies!!!

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »
I use the CakeMate tubes of icing which stay hood for several months after opening on the pantry.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »
Are the spray cans of frosting safe. They could come in very handy. Always have cupcakes in the freezer but hate to have to open frosting to frost one cupcake.
We've used them. The betty crocker or cake mate brands. I quit buying them because of the trans fat but for convenience you can't beat them.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline cindy2

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »
I've looked all over and haven't found the pf birthday cake :'(  Do any of the major stores carry it?  I'm in northern NJ.  Thanks!
DD-peanut/tree nut, lentils & legumes

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
I found ours at Wegmans... I think I've seen it at Weis as well.
Pennsylvania, USA