login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ceramic Eggs for Easter Egg Dying  (Read 6572 times)

Description:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Ceramic Eggs for Easter Egg Dying
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
http://www.eggnots.com/

Check these out.  They are expensive, but interesting.

Offline krasota

Re: Ceramic Eggs for Easter Egg Dying
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
You can pick up ceramic and plastercraft eggs inexpensively at specialty shops or craft shops.  Papier mache is another option.  And wood.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
 I have a egg basket filled with those ceramic eggs.  Yes, def good for painting. Had not thought of painting them!!   Thanks for sharing that, hezz.

Another egg project: 
DD and I took an Easter egg art class one time where we used the plastic eggs, colored tissue paper torn into tiny pieces (about 1/2 inch in size) and an Elmer's "wash" (Elmer's glue + some water to make more of a wash than a thick glue).  Just brush on a bit of the wash and then apply the tissue paper pieces, overlapping a bit.  Make a design or make just a colorful collage.  Really pretty.   
I still have and display the eggs that DD and I made back when she was about 7 or so.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
You can buy them at poultry supply stores.  Chicken farmers use them to help convince the chicken to lay their eggs in certain locations.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »
Be sure to read the "about us" link on that website.  -- a food-allergy mom.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
Thanks for posting this. While I'm fine with the painting of wooden eggs, DH has been lamenting not being able to "dip" eggs with the boys :shrug:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
You can pick up ceramic and plastercraft eggs inexpensively at specialty shops or craft shops.  Papier mache is another option.  And wood.

We've done the wood eggs.  However, we don't decorate eggs every year.  There's no need to when you can recycle the wood eggs from prior years.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »
My eggnots have arrived! Granted, it's been sometime since I've held an actual egg, but these little guys are freakishly realistic. They have the heft of an actual egg! I'm also a sucker for packaging, and these come in the adorable container shown on the site.  I think we'll do 1/2 this year and save 1/2 for next. Thanks for posting this Hezzier!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »
I found another option at Walmart in the Easter section for $1.97, you will have to buy an egg dying kit to go with it.  But at this price, if they really work, you could do these every year and recycle them when finished...assuming that you will be able to get more every year.