login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ruling: Md. need not protect pupils from allergens in school lunch  (Read 8236 times)

Description:

Offline Susan

Although the public school failed to prevent Liana from being exposed to her food allergen, the state cannot be held accountable for what happened to her, according to a decision this week by the state's highest court.

Maryland, its Department of Education and its superintendent of schools are not responsible for ensuring that school-provided lunches won't send students to the hospital in anaphylactic shock, the Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday. A state cannot be found negligent under the National School Lunch Act, which requires states to provide nutritious meals to students in need, the court said.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-02-23/news/bs-md-school-lunch-suit-20120223_1_peanut-butter-school-nurse-local-school

WTH?  Am I missinf something? :dunce:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Ruling: Md. need not protect pupils from allergens in school lunch
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
Uhhhhh... WOW.

That is really contrary to the documents at the USDA.  Stunning is right.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
The ruling didn't deal with the accountability of the local school district, which settled the case with the family.  It looks like the family also sought to sue the state board of education/schools superintendent.  According to the article the seven judge panel felt that the USDA regulation requires that state departments of education create training and train local school districts in food allergies but that the statute doesn't require them to assume liability for keeping the child safe (seems that likely rests with the local school district).  It doesn't seem too stunning.  If the court had held that state departments of ed could be held liable, it could stand to reason that the federal DOE could also be held liable; that's just not realistic as those working at those levels are not involved in the care of the child.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
Oh, okay.... yes, that makes sense.  I was reading too quickly.  I wasn't sure WHO the family had settled out of court with.

But yes, makes total sense that the feds and state agencies aren't responsible for what actually transpires at the hands of a local school.

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
It should be noted that this is the same school district that accidentally served peanut oil containing nachos at lunch this past fall. Even though they have rules in their food service to not purchase peanut containing items, the vendor sent these chips and a staff member missed it on the ingredient listing.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/08/frederick-county-schools-react-to-peanut-allergy-scare-65908.html

And now the same county schools are dealing with the death of an 8-year-old from an allergic reaction.  The reaction did not happen at school.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?StoryID=132251

USA-Virginia

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
Here's the obit for the little girl in my earlier post:

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/local/obit_detail2.htm?obitid=32570

She was adorable. 

This was written in the condolence book for her:
When my daughter started kindergarten 2 1/2 years ago at Ballenger Creek Elementary School, she hated the peanut free table. Amaya made it better. When Caroline was in the nurses office with hives, feeling small and scared, Amaya sometimes would be there doing a breathing treatment. She would laugh with her about food allergies and asthma. Amaya was my daughter''s ''big sister'' in food allergies and asthma, the one you look up to, adore and idolize. Caroline LOVED her so much. Mommy she knows everything. Mommy she is so wonderful. I adored her because she made it so much easier for my child to feel normal, and of course because she was a delight.
I cannot imagine the pain you are going through. Please understand that the love and support of the community are with you now and always!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:57:20 PM by maeve »

USA-Virginia

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »
That is so sad.  Back to the OP, this is the part that I find extremely scary:

"On this particular day, a cafeteria worker gave Liana a peanut butter sandwich. Liana resisted eating the sandwich, informing the worker that she was not allowed to have peanut butter," the opinion said. "The worker mistook her protests as misbehavior and ordered her to eat the sandwich. Liana complied."

If someone ordered my dd to eat an allergen after she told the staff she could not, I would be livid.  No matter who the court finds liable or not liable, the whole idea of a staff person telling a kid to eat an allergen after the child has said they cannot eat it needs to be addressed.

It said that they are thinking of taking it to the Supreme Court.  Now that would be interesting.

Offline maeve

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »
carefulmom,
The local school district settled with the family.  The actions of the local school district were not what the case referenced in the article were about.

I certainly agree that the actions of the cafeteria worker were out of line.  If the child didn't want to eat regardless of allergies, it's not for that worker to force a child to eat.  Sometimes kids don't want to eat. 

USA-Virginia

Offline rainbow

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »
Wow. On the cafeteria worker giving the peanut butter sandwich (DUMB!  With the rise in PA, this can NOT be a safe substitute lunch!!)

And on Amaya.  So sad. 

So many sad stories recently.  Are we still keeping track of these on the "In Memory" thread?  I also think we should track the severe reactions that make the news.  One place for this is helpful esp as we have school meetings etc. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:39:15 PM by rainbow »

Offline maeve

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »
http://www.courts.state.md.us/opinions/cosa/2010/496s08.pdf

This was one of the appeals that was filed in this case.  The suit has been in the court system since 2006.  It seems the mother sued the state and other co-defendants at the same time.  The circuit court dismissed the state defendants.  After the settlement, this appeal was filed.  The mother's suit alleges "that negligence on the part of the State defendants in failing to ensure that Liana’s school had an effective program in place to “flag” students with food allergies was a proximate cause of Liana’s injuries." 

I'm reading the case right now and this mother had a very strong case of discrimination based on food allergy.  It's unclear whether she had a 504.  The case document is an interesting read.

USA-Virginia

Offline maeve

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
http://mdcourts.gov/opinions/coa/2012/132a10.pdf

This is the most recently decided appeal; the one referenced in the article.

Nicole Pace, as Mother and Next Friend of Liana Pace v. State of Maryland, No. 132,
September Term, 2010, Opinion by Greene, J.
TORT LAW – STATUTORY DUTY – State defendants had no statutory duty under the
National School Lunch Act (NSLA) to ensure that a child with a food allergy was not served
harmful foodstuffs by her local school. Any duties imposed on the State under the statute are
duties to the general public
and are therefore not enforceable in tort.

Emphasis mine.

USA-Virginia

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »
So a child with an allergy isn't... what...

"intended" under the law?  ???

Oh my goodness, I hardly think so... and really, the USDA can hardly think so, either-- or they wouldn't have a series of documents re: section 504 and food allergy.

Was this a federal ruling?  I'm deeply confused how a state can be found "not responsible" under federal law which obligates them to provide services to the general public. 

How are those with disabilities excluded from those measures??  That's my question.

Because it certainly seems like ADA says otherwise.

Of course, if the child didn't have a 504 plan, then it becomes less clear.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:01:53 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »
CM, It is a state supreme court decision. I'm reading the case right now.  Basically, it boils down to the fact that the National School Lunch Act, which is the plaintiff's basis for the suit against the state defendants, creates a duty to all students and not a specific subset of students.  According to the court document, there are three criteria for a negligence claim:  whether a duty to that specific individual existed, breach of that duty, and injury proximately resulting from that breach.  The courts have determined based on the plaintiff's pleading that NSLA does not create a duty to the plaintiff's child.  Failing to meet that first standard meant the courts were correct to dismiss the appeal. 

In reading the court's reading, I understand where they're coming from.  They cite one case that uses the example of police officers, which have a duty to protect the general public but not a specific individual; therefore, for example, you could not sue the police department if you were say robbed.

The court decision also goes into how the NSLA statute should be read.  The court asserts that the statue simply states that schools must provide alternative lunches not that they must ensure that children with food allergies are not served their allergens.  If you read the statue, that's correct.  Essentially the court is saying, that the state agencies had an obligation under the law to provide guidance on how to implement NSLA to local school districts and ensure that those school districts implemented the NSLA.  The agencies do not, according to the court, have an obligation to ensure that an individual child is served the correct lunch.

Even ADA and 504 wouldn't mandate that the state agencies ensure that a specific child is served the proper lunch. 

Take the time to read the opinion.  It's interesting.  It's also arguing a pretty narrow point of tort law and also arguing that you cannot infer anything from federal regulations that is not expressly written in the statue (with a few very specific exceptions ["(“In interpreting federal statutory law, a
court may look beyond the plain language of a statute when: 1) Congress has expressed a clear intent contrary to the statutory text; 2) literal application would frustrate the purpose of the statute; or 3) literal application would ‘produce an absurd result.’”", which they note in the opinion).  Page 17 begins the opnion's discussion of NSLA.  The way the part of the statute is written about special dietary needs, Congress did not expressly indicate that state must take action that specific students are not fed their allergen.

8 Although not specifically included in her brief or petition for certiorari, Petitioner
referenced 42 U.S.C. § 1758(a) (2006) during oral argument (and in the intermediate
appellate and trial courts) as establishing a duty owed by the State defendants. That section
reads:
§ 1758. Program requirements
(a) Nutritional requirements
(1) (A) Lunches served by schools participating in the school
lunch program under this chapter [42 U.S.C. §§ 1751-1769]
shall meet minimum nutritional requirements prescribed by the
Secretary on the basis of tested nutritional research, except that
the minimum nutritional requirements –
(i) shall not be construed to prohibit the substitution of
foods to accommodate the medical or other special
dietary needs of individual students; and
(ii) shall, at a minimum, be based on the weekly average
of the nutrient content of school lunches.
As the intermediate appellate court noted in the present case, although this section references
special dietary needs, “it does not mandate that the State take any particular action to ensure
that a child such as Liana is never fed any food containing peanuts.” Pace, 195 Md. App.
at 43, 5 A.3d at 1127. We agree with that analysis.

USA-Virginia

Offline maeve

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »
Page 21 (page 23 in the Acrobat page field) of the ruling is a must read.

USA-Virginia

Offline maeve

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »
This suit was first filed in 2006, well before the amended ADA; the plaintiff does not cite the ADA and certainly not the amended ADA in her complaint.  She might have been better able to argue protected class if citing the amended ADA, but that didn't exist when she filed suit.

We agree with the intermediate appellate court’s determination that “the statutes and
regulations upon which [Petitioner] base [her] claim of special duty are simply not phrased

with the sort of specificity that supports the imposition of liability upon the State.” 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:58:55 PM by maeve »

USA-Virginia