login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Bus Driver refuses to transport child with PA  (Read 2616 times)

Description:

Offline rainbow

Bus Driver refuses to transport child with PA
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
Story in the news - Bus Driver refuses to transport Kindergartner with peanut allergy:

http://www.loudounallergynetwork.org/2/post/2012/02/justice-for-a-kindergartner.html

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Re: Bus Driver refuses to transport child with PA
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
Wow, what a jerk!  I'm glad the parents fought it and won.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »
What's amazing is that it got this far.

Our drivers come to our 504 meetings. So does the transportation director (all employees of our district). He has called me the day before a 504 meeting to say he has a conflict and We e talked about things.  But hes  been at most of them.  What's funny is that he knows me by name. This morning I called at 6:00 go tell them not to pick up DS (he's sick) and the director answered. And asked me how things are going yhis year (we don't have an aide and DS rides four different bUses). 

This poor family shouldn't have had it drag on. It should have been resolved the first week of school! 

What a glaring example of the denial of FAPE.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:04:08 PM »
I want to know who the food allergy advocate was who advised they not pursue this.

I'm very grateful to them for pursing it.  makes things better for many others.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »
Really, it could have been almost anyone.

The problem is that to pursue it exacts such a tremendous cost to a family.  It just shouldn't be like that.   :disappointed:

I'm glad that a few families WILL do whatever it takes to seek justice-- but I can't find it in my heart to say that those who walk away instead are really wrong.  Maybe they just know that the cost isn't one that they personally can stand to pay.   :-[  It makes me SO angry to know that schools know this-- they COUNT on parents like these being rare.   
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.