FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: This scares me...field trips to restaurants for a class assignment??  (Read 12076 times)

Description:

Offline IowaMom

http://waukee.patch.com/articles/brookview-students-5e4191f2

Have any of your kiddos had to do something like this?? I'm still getting my feet wet with this "school stuff" as dd just started k this year. 
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline maeve

Re: This scares me...field trips to restaurants for a class assignment??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »
Sort of yes.  In third grade my DD had a field trip to local businesses.  They were bussed up to our town center (a shopping center) where they visited local businesses.  The businesses they visited included the coffee shop, the UPS store, a cupcake/cake store, a smoothie store, and the movie theater (they may also have gone to other businesses.  There was no mention in the information sent home about the field trip that the kids would be given samples.  They were given samples of a smoothie type drink at the coffee shop and samples of cupcakes at the cupcake shop.  There may have been other samples but my memory is hazy.  Thankfully, DH was there as a chaperone and he looked after DD and another child we knew who had food allergies.  However, my DD and the other children with FAs did not have the same "learning" experience as their peers on the field trip.  Again, there was no information about anything involving food sent home prior to the event.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline kouturekat

• formerly ryansmom
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
The only time our school had something like this was when Ryan was in 7th grade.  They were going to a museum (or something like that), then to a restaurant for a 7-course meal.  It was an all-day affair.  I told Ryan we could make this work or...he could skip school and go to the movies to see Star Trek with me.

His choice.  My kid always has near-perfect attendance so the attendance issue didn't matter.  We both felt some things aren't worth the hassle of getting accommodations up/down/left/right.

I don't think restaurant trips are the norm for most schools, but we made the decision together.  He was old enough to do it.  We had a GREAT time at the movies BTW ;) .   Much better than going to a restaurant which would have taken up the bulk of the day. 
Formerly RM, ryansmom,

“I’m well aware I’m not everyone’s cup of tea…I’d rather be someone’s shot of tequila anyway.”

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »
As part of a manners class in 6th grade (it was a six week class), the group always goes to Chik Fil A.  I thought we could make it work. DS is a vegetarian, so he would have been fine with a salad. But the teacher just decided not to go on the trip.  And that was fine, too.  :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:55 AM »
In one preschool year the class made a trip to a pizza parlor. We skipped it due to a peanut sauce pizza on the menu. Typically the school was phenomenal on FA so that time we sat out. Kindergarten (for me) would be too young for a lesson in food critique.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
Well, with the schools having less and less money to do things with, field trips have been waning in our district.  I haven't seen anything like that yet around here.  I hope I don't. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline rainbow

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
In one preschool year the class made a trip to a pizza parlor. We skipped it due to a peanut sauce pizza on the menu. Typically the school was phenomenal on FA so that time we sat out. Kindergarten (for me) would be too young for a lesson in food critique.

Peanut sauce pizza? !  this is the first time I've heard of this!  Is it common?

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:54:31 AM »
Peanut sauce pizza? !  this is the first time I've heard of this!  Is it common?

I'd say that thai chicken pizzas, which have a peanut-based sauce, are fairly common - though probably more so in certain areas of the country.  I know that when I was working at summer camp, I had a PA counselor in training who had a previous reaction when he was served the wrong pizza at a restaurant - the culprit was a thai chicken pizza.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »

Anywhere west of Colorado, it's common.

Anywhere on the Pacific coast, it's so common as to be something to check for before ordering at a pizzeria. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:13:30 PM »
They have it at the chain California Pizza Kitchen.  I have not seen it anywhere else, although I have seen pesto pizza here, which may have tree nuts.  I figure the pizza places are extremely high risk for cross contamination.  Same oven, same thing that they use to cut the whole pizza into slices.  I doubt they even wash it between cutting one pizza and the next.  There is no way we would ever eat at California Pizza Kitchen (although I would go there without dd).  I`d probably walk out of a place if I saw any pesto pizza on the menu.

Offline lilpig99

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 11:33:35 PM »
We've gone to bakeries...not particulary fun with my egg-allergic kiddo.  I was there....might not have been as comfortable with it if I hadn't of been there.

Offline Ra3chel

Anywhere west of Colorado, it's common.

Anywhere on the Pacific coast, it's so common as to be something to check for before ordering at a pizzeria.

:yes:

Doubly so at small / gourmet pizzerias.
The 3 is silent.

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
Preschool class has been to a restaurant to make pizza. Class does have food allergies. Not sure what they are, I don't send food and have not read the info packet in a while.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
peanut sauce pizza makes my stomach lurch just thinking of it. 
YUCK!  I don't really care for peanuts to start with and thinking about a sauce like that on pizza sounds so unappealing! 
I hope no one around here decides to start a new trend. 
I did see something like thai pizza at calif pizza kitchen, that's when we left assuming it would not be a safe choice for my ds.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes