FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: NYC: I need some help with what's in the area for lunch  (Read 5016 times)

Description:

Offline GingerPye

NYC: I need some help with what's in the area for lunch
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
My DD is traveling to NYC with her high school choir this spring.  I just found out the areas they will be in.  They have meals planned for suppers, but for lunches they are on their own.  I'm hoping someone here is familiar with these areas and can tell me of one or two safe places for her to eat lunch.

1)  South Street Seaport
2)  Midtown theatre district south of 42nd Street
3)  around St. Malachi's church (Catholic?) 
4)  Food court at Rockefeller Center

Thank you for any info!!!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline GingerPye

Re: NYC: I need some help with what's in the area for lunch
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
Updating; I have a little more info about the areas:

The South Street Seaport area is fairly new, I think.  Lots of restaurants in the area.  I found one place called the Fish Market on South Street --- anyone know about it? 

The midtown theatre district, south of 42nd Street --- I'm still not sure of the exact location but I think they are seeing Spiderman in that area, which is at W 43rd St and 7th Ave.   I haven't found any good choices yet, just looking online.

St. Malachy's is called the Actor's Chapel, in the theater district, at 239 W 49th Street between Broadway and 8th Ave.  I found a place called the Palm Restaurant which looks fun -- anyone been there?

Has anyone eaten at the Rockefeller Center?
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
If you're talking about the famous "The Palm", it's incredibly expensive.  Not sure it's what I'm thinking of, because that one is on the East Side.  Don't know if they have a west side place as well.

Remind me of DD's allergens?  DS loves Shake Shack, and they have a website with good nutritional info.

I've never been there, but Carmine's is supposed to be allergy-friendly.  If your DD is allergic to milk or eggs, her choices are going to be more limited.

I don't know anything downtown (SSS area). 

I'll ask DS about more midtown stuff.  Now that he's working in the city every day, he's got all the info. 

ETA:  Duh, allergens are in your signature.  I'm a dunderhead tonight.  :crazy:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:47:41 PM by GoingNuts »
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
Check out www.southernhospitalitybbq.com.  They don't list allergens on their website, but they were very responsive when I emailed them.
N.E. US

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
I know it is past the trip, but we went to NYC last week and ate at the Heartland Brewery.  They were excellent with their allergy awareness and we had a great lunch.  there are several all around the city. 

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
Has anyone eaten at Shake Shack lately? I checked the menu and there's peanut butter on there in at least 3 different ways like they REALLY like to serve PB. A lot. I'll take a look @ Heartland.

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »
Has anyone eaten at Shake Shack lately? I checked the menu and there's peanut butter on there in at least 3 different ways like they REALLY like to serve PB. A lot. I'll take a look @ Heartland.

We ate at a different Danny Meyer restaurant and had a great experience.  We ate at Blue Smoke in the Flatiron District; it's BBQ.  Very knowledgeable and accommodating.  It was also very yummy. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 06:02:44 PM »
Thanks, maeve!

ETA: DH is asking what you ordered. I'll call them tomorrow about egg and have DH bring allergy cards.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:31:24 PM by twinturbo »

Offline starlight

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
If you're only pa/tna, skip a traditional lunch and go to the Donut Pub. Walking into a bakery and being able to eat anything they have there without worry is the most amazing experience, especially when it was this tasty. And everything was so. big. http://www.donutpub.com/FAQ.aspx

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Bump
N.E. US

Offline bookedup

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »
Made a reservation at Blue Smoke for tomorrow.  Everything I read about them in regards to allergy awareness seems great, just nervous because they have peanuts (jar of peanuts) on their menu.

We also have plans to go to Eleni's and The Donut Pub.  It's a mini vacation so healthy eating is not a requirement.  :yes:

Will let you know our experiences when we return.
DS (15) - Allergic to PN, TN, Lentils and Peas.  Outgrew Strawberries, Bananas, Chickpeas, String beans, Shrimp, Crab and Lobster.