FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Strawberry cake - vegan  (Read 2454 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Strawberry cake - vegan
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »
I'm a pretty good baker.  Having kids who are allergic to milk & eggs and being pa/tna myself has sort of forced me to learn to make all kinds of sweets from scratch.  One of my guilty pleasures and favorite cakes from when I was a kid is strawberry cake.  You know, Pillsbury from a box ;D

I'd love to replicate that cake for my kids.  I've been searching for a recipe but thought I'd ask here.  I know we have some  other great bakers here who are dairy and egg free as well.

Does anyone have a recipe or suggestions to share?

twinturbo

Re: Strawberry cake - vegan
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
Leave out the shredded coconut and add a ton of artificial strawberry flavor, or maybe use a strawberry jello pack. Unsure how the gelatin could affect texture.

But... prior to DS2 and his Class 6 Wheat anaphylaxis I made this cake plenty of times. I always reduce the sugar by half due to personal taste. The silken tofu by Sunrise Soya I can vouch for. Completely nut free facility, egg and dairy free facility if I remember correctly. Their one egg product is made in a different facility and the coconut, almond and custard flavors are all artificial. Check their website for a statement or email, it's been a while since I contacted them.

Really moist cake, very much like regular cake in texture and taste IMO.

INGREDIENTS

1 pkg (2 x 150g) Sunrise Coconut Tofu Dessert
½ cup margarine
1 cup + 1 tsp sugar
¼  tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
¼  tsp. baking soda
1 ¾ cup flour
1 cup desiccated coconut

DIRECTIONS

1.    Preheat oven to 350F.
2.    Mix all ingredients (except for the 1 tsp of sugar) together until well blended -  about 1 minute.
3.    Pour into an 8x8 greased and floured pan. 
4.    Sprinkle reserved 1 tsp sugar on top.
5.    Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
6.    Cool and serve.  Sprinkle with some shredded coconut for a decorative touch (if desired).

Calories: 260   Fat: 12g (Saturated Fat: 5g)   Carbohydrates: 35g   Protein: 3g   Fibre: 2g   Sodium: 230mg   Cholesterol: 0mg   Calcium: 8%   Iron: 10%
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:44:34 PM by twinturbo »

Offline MaryM

Re: Strawberry cake - vegan
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
Thank you!!!!