FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: I need help!  (Read 4372 times)

Description: Hives

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: I need help!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »
Eat Junk!  LOL that's what you get for being a healthy eater. 
Feel Better.  This seems to be a really bad year for allergy sufferers.  So many people have had sinus problems in the past month or so.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Foxy

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »
LMFAO!   ;D  I'm gonna tell hubby that is my cure!  He will flip!  ;D
clickable

Offline Foxy

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
Just an update.  I stopped eating fruit since posting this and although I still have some symptoms, I am not a big welt like I was.  I think my environmentals are getting worse.  They used to be tolerable but now are getting out of control.  I believe I may have to buck up and start taking a daily dose of Claritin or something.  I have an appointment with an allergist on Friday that I'm going to keep. 

I bet they will urge me to take allergy shots.  I don't know if I want to commit to something like that.  I used to take my Boss every week.  Most of them go for years.  I don't know if it would be worth it.  What do you gals think?  Anyone here do this?
clickable

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »
Allergy shots are a really long-term investment, yes.  It's also a huge time commitment, but the first year is generally the worst there (twice weekly, or weekly injections).  If you have decent insurance, they may be covered.

I will say that DD's six years of allergy shots literally changed her life.  Ditto for her dad as a kid.

She still needs daily zyrtec, but I can usually count on one hand the number of times she uses a rescue inhaler annually, and she hasn't needed nasal steroids or Singulair in about three years.

No question that doing allergy shots altered the allergic march for her.  No question.

When she started, she had OAS that was rapidly worsening and growing to include more and more fruit.  Now, the only thing that she has trouble with are apples during birch (filbert) pollen season (we live in a filbert growing region, so the pollen levels can get crazy high).

Shots don't help everyone, of course-- and you won't really know which group you're in until you've been at it a year.   :-/

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Foxy

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »
I have good insurance.  That won't be a problem.  My problem will lie with the time and commitment for the next year or so.  Not so much right now but I am on the list for the next name pull for the DOC which will more than likely be happening in July when the budget passes. 

I do feel better not eating any fruit at the moment though but I will still get a bit itchy here and there. Thanks for that info CM.  I appreciate it!  :coolbeans: :heart:
clickable

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »
Honestly, I think that a lot of people are having an unusually difficult spring for allergies.  I used to really suffer when I was a teen, but as I got older, one spring I'd be fine, the next horrible depending on the pollen counts.

My ds has done allergy shots and his environmentals have improved vastly, but he's having a bad time right now.  So, it just may be that this is a particularly bad spring
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »
I've often joked that I should be on the Twinkie and Devil Dog diet, since so many fresh fruits and veggies give me the itchies.

I've been all hive-y the past two days.  I've been avoiding the raw stuff and sticking with the cooked, but it hasn't made a difference.   :disappointed:  I guess the pollen is just too much too soon for me this year.  :tongue:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US