login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Does anyone use sulfate free shampoo that doesn't lather?  (Read 12515 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

I'd like to try this to make my temp color last longer. I know that wen brand has almond in it so it's out. The organix brand I've been using does lather but my color isn't lasting any longer with it than with regular shampoo. My stylist thinks maybe the "cleanser" type shampoos without sulfates might help it last longer. I know that Bumble and Bumble makes one but it's expensive. Devacurl is a little cheaper (although my hair is barely wavy but I guess that doesn't matter). Any others that are fairly reasonably priced? I have no known allergies (other than drug) but since we all use the same shower I want something that wouldn't cause a reaction to dd.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:13:48 AM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

Re: Does anyone use sulfate free shampoo that doesn't lather?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
It shouldn't matter if your hair is curly or not to use Devacurl/care products :)  They are mostly botanical ingredients and don't have any high protein in them (which hurts curly hair).

For Deva - you'd want to use Devacare No Poo or Low Poo. The Devacare is for color treated hair while Devacurl is for natural.

I've gone back to using Devacare b/c my other products (Ouidad) were causing a build-up and my hair was drying out.

Devacare also has a sulfate free light conditioner :)  Make sure you like the smell, some think they are strong.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
ah thanks. I didn't even know they  made a non-curl variety. Where do you buy yours? I suppose I could go to a Sephora or Ulta or something and pay full price but if I buy online at a place like amazon, is it the real thing? I remember all the controversy about the 'salon' brands being sold at target and some claimed they were fakes (not sure target would sell fakes but who knows).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »
I either order mine from the Deva store itself if I have a coupon or I do Ulta w/ a coupon.  It's still marketed for curly hair, but there's nothing in either that "make hair curl"  :)   Curlies (of which I am) need different low protein low silicone hair products for our hair to be healthy. So light, botanical, natural, no-cone, no-sulfates, is good for us :)  It doesn't mean it isn't good for other hair types!

At Ulta you can try and return, but I think it can't be more than a certain amount empty --- or just get one of the travel bottles.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
I've used Pantene's version. It lathered some.  It smells a bit much for me, so I don't use it alot. Just when my nose is stuffy. :)

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
I may stop at Ulta tomorrow if we're in town and see what it smells like before I decide. I like the idea of pantene since it's easy to find locally but I've never found a pantene product that I like the smell of. I prefer fruity sweet scents and pantene seems perfumey to me.

I actually have a lot of trouble getting all of the Organix I've been using rinsed out of my hair. It seems lathery even after a lot of rinsing. Maybe a no or low lather one would be easier for me.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
I said Pantene, but I think it's L'Oreal.  It comes in a metallic tube. I have the pink one. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:34:41 PM »
Went to Ulta today. I got a small bottle of the Devacare Low-poo shampoo to try. They didn't have a small bottle of the conditioner so I just sniffed it and will get a bottle online to try.

Today I used some California Baby shampoo that I got as a trial. It barely lathered. I think I'm so programmed to look for lather to indicate that a shampoo is working that it's going to take some getting used to to use the low-poo stuff.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
Devacare low-poo will still lather. I'm not sure what they have in it, but it does lather for me :) and it doesn't have sdoium laurel sulfate (the sudsing component).

Good luck!

Lots of main stream brands are going sulfate-free, I'm surprised there isn't a Suave that is sulfate-free?
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:17:48 AM »
I haven't seen a suave but there are other no-sulfate shampoos at Walmart. But the one I have now, Organix brand, isn't really helping with keeping my color longer. I think even though there's no SLS it still has something harsh in it. Maybe whatever makes it lather. The others I saw there smell too perfumey for me.

I think the devacare has something coconut derived for lather.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
NOT VETTING SAFETY ON ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS - Just making sulfate free suggestions.

I use the L'Oreal Sulfate Free shampoos.  It's a nice option in the grocery store and have gotten so many compliments on my hair since I started using it.

I have also used Giovanni products (find in Walmart but near the Burt's Bees option, not in the shampoo aisle).

DH uses Five Star Shampoo http://www.calbenpuresoap.com/index.php  We exclusively use their soaps in the house.  I have never called but did quick research.  We love the foaming soap (DH cannot handle scents at all, so we empty out Dial foaming dispensers, wash in the dishwasher and use them - the soap dispenser from Calben died in hours).  My kids went from consistent issues with their hands to none when we made the switch. (The foam soap is a concentrate so it will fill the four dispensers we have about 2-3 times each).  DH and kids love their bar soap because it is near scentless and not drying in the way other unscented soaps have been. 

If you have a local health food store, they often have great options in the sulfate free options. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:43:06 AM »
Jessica, I'm a Devacare devotee.  I stopped coloring my hair (just going gray naturally  ~) ), but every time I try something else I run right back to Deva.  Their products definitely work best on my delicate hair. 

I hope you like it - good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline stpauligirl

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
I recently tried some sulfate free shampoo from walmart. I just randomly got it, and didn't like it because it didn't lather, but I guess that's what you want. :) It was not organix, but it was in a white bottle. Can't remember the name.

Offline Ciel

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
I don't colour my hair so I'm not sure about this method on dyed-hair, but I have just used baking soda and a vinegar rinse, or a borax and water solution. Works great for cleaning hair and the major bonus=completely fragrance free and hair feels soft & healthy.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:29:39 AM »
new question. My first bottle of devacare low-poo has these ingredients:
Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Coco Betaine, PEG 75 Lanolin, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Extract, Polyquaternium 7, Hydroxyetheylcellulose, Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm) Extract, Humulus Lupulas (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Citrarus (Lemongrass) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Polyquaternium 10, Propylene Glycol, Amino Methyl Propanol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance

second bottle has these:
Aqueos Extracts of: Achilea Millefolium, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, Humulus Lupulus (Hops), Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel; Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-75 Lanolin, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Benzophenone-4, Polyquaternium-10, Hydroxyethlcellulose, Polyquaterium-7, Diazolidinyl Urea, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Ascorbic Acid, Fragrance, Red 40, Yellow 5.

I bought the second one from amazon but they have the same exact ingredients listed at curlmart. But drugstore.com and deva show the first list so I guess they changed at some point? Should I return it?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA