login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Jet Blue  (Read 11442 times)

Description: Mixed Nuts

Offline GoingNuts

Jet Blue
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »
Monday night DS and I flew upstate for a quick college visit.  I made a reservation on Jet Blue, and never even thought to ask about the snack options; in all our years of flying Jet Blue I've never seen nuts served. 

So, we settle down for our bumpy flight, and once we're up in the air they announce the food choices - chocolate chip cookies or mixed nuts.  Maternal panic set in.  DS rolled his eyes.  Naturally the gentleman next to me ordered the nuts.    I guess the economy sized bag of pretzel M&M's he brought with him wasn't enough for the 50 minute flight.

The good news is, DS was fine.  But it was a reminder to me to call when I made a reservation each and every time.  DS isn't the only one that has gotten complacent.    :hiding:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline krasota

Re: Jet Blue
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »
Every JetBlue flight I've been on has served cashews, amongst other things.  We can do the Terra Blue chips, so we usually get those, but I also wipe kiddo's seat down before he touches *anything* and then he sits in a carseat as he's still wee.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
Funny, I wonder if the snack choices are route-specific?  We've been flying to Buffalo and Florida for years and have never seen the mixed nuts (which definitely contained PN, BTW).  It's usually cookies, chex mix, and terra chips. 

Lesson learned.
N.E. US

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:29:06 PM »
...but isn't also kinda a really good thing about him not having any sort of airborne reaction?  Not just for the sake of not having one, but to know he's ok in a plane with those mixed nuts? For me, I'd have been like "Woohoo! Not even a sniffle! YEAH!"

know what I mean?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:23:51 AM »
Definitely, and his allergies are already in overdrive because of the pollen.  Very good sign indeed.  Though I do have to say, almost nobody seemed to be going for the nuts.  The cookies were the big draw, LOL.
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:58:45 AM »
Double bonus -

You weren't on this Jet Blue flight
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/jetblue-pilot-is-charged-by-federal-prosecutors-suspended-from-job/2012/03/28/gIQA3rxChS_story.html

(Sorry, talking to my dad always makes me snarky)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »
Oh, I know - we watched coverage of the story as we were sitting on the runway waiting to take off on the way home.  I'm tellin' ya, if we were meant to fly, we'd have wings.  ;)
N.E. US

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
I believe JetBlue will refrain from serving nuts if you talk to them ahead of time. They're the hands-down best airline I've ever traveled on, in terms of both allergy stuff (grain of salt---I'm not TNA) and general quality and customer service. When my grandmother was dying, they were amazing--way above and beyond.
The 3 is silent.

Offline Nutternomore

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 01:18:07 AM »
We're flying with them soon, after not having flown them in several years.  In  the past they were very accommodating.  With my recent reservation I was told that I could request a buffer zone and the flight attendent will create one for the row in front of us and behind us, which will be helpful for my kiddo who is PN/TN allergic.  Taking a dreaded red eye cross country, but at least people should be sleeping, not eating.  :crossed:
Dad to 2 teens
DS - 16, allergic to peanuts/tree nuts
DD - 13, allergic to tomatoes, broccoli, turkey (suspected)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 06:11:46 AM »
Good luck Nutternomore; hope all goes well on your trip!
N.E. US

Offline Nutternomore

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 06:17:25 AM »
Thanks, Going Nuts, should be a great trip.   :bye:
Dad to 2 teens
DS - 16, allergic to peanuts/tree nuts
DD - 13, allergic to tomatoes, broccoli, turkey (suspected)

Offline Irene

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »
My family just flew on Jet Blue last week.  We told the flight crew about my son's nut allergies and they created a buffer zone for us - the flight attendant asked the row in front, behind and beside us not to eat any nut products.  I couldn't tell if the mixed nuts were being served to people outside the buffer zone.  I felt okay with this only because I know the mixed nuts don't contain peanuts.
We had good and safe flights both ways, thank God.

Offline jenavy21

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:51 AM »
We always fly JetBlue when we can.  I have called them ahead of time and they have actually placed us in front row and created buffer behind us.  During take off flight attendant closest hold eli for us in case it is needed and then gives it back since it can't go under the seat.  By far the best airline and most accommodating we have flown.  =)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »
So does Jet Blue serve peanuts or not? I am confused after reading this thread.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
JetBlue does not serve peanuts to my knowledge. They will (usually) request passengers rows three before and three after to refrain from consuming peanut products all assuming of course all communication was done with JetBlue ahead of time. Although I've never had them serve other nuts while we were flying with them according to last I read their nut policy they do serve almonds on occasion I don't know how often.

I've never heard of flight attendants taking a passenger's epinephrine to hold for them. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Rather some sort of medicine bag that can be worn around the waist or a jacket pocket of some sort. Anything where it does not leave the individual who requires it.