login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What to eat/avoid while pregnant  (Read 3321 times)

Description:

Offline stpauligirl

What to eat/avoid while pregnant
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »
Hi all - I haven't been to the site for a long, long time. You moved! Things are going well for DS8, who has LTFA to peanuts, tree nuts and dairy. But now I find myself pregnant, and I'm wondering if I should be eating or avoiding the main offender allergens. I googled and found studies showing that eating peanuts during pregnancy can lead to peanut allergic kids, and I found studies saying that you should eat peanuts to avoid having kids with peanut allergies. So what to do?

Thanks!

Offline AllergyMum

Re: What to eat/avoid while pregnant
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »
Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I have not idea, but your suggest that you speak with your allergist to get advice
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline cmf

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:56:26 AM »
The latest is dont avoid anything...eat a healthy well balanced diet with lots of fruit and vege and everything else in moderation.

Offline MommyOfTwo+1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
CONGRATS on your pregnancy!!

I just had a little one and I didn't avoid anything.  I actually didn't eat any pn however because DS2 is pa and we don't keep any in the house and I'm not out where I can eat pn.  I suppose only time will tell if DS3 ends up with any allergies. 

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
The latest is dont avoid anything...eat a healthy well balanced diet with lots of fruit and vege and everything else in moderation.

:yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »
I was told, 9 years ago, to avoid peanuts, treenuts and shellfish during pregnancy, and thoughout nursing. 

Now, I have read completely differently, as cmf, and CM concur.  Eat a normal and balanced diet.   

But, does that apply even with a history of allergies?  That is where I am not certain.  There is also new advice for restrictions in introducing foods.  Less restrictive than when I was having my second child.  I would check in with the allergist and peds, or current research. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
With DS1 - I avoided nothing, including peanut butter sandwhiches.  He tested positive initially but our current allergist thinks he was never allergic.

With DS2 - I did avoid peanuts, guess what he seems to react to?

With DD - I avoided nothing, no allergies.

Moderation with everything and realization that you are an atopic family so there may be nothing you can do to avoid allergies, kwim?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline stpauligirl

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was leaning toward "everything in moderation" myself, but I am going to check with the docs. I have a call into my son's pediatric allergiest, since I figured she would be most up to date on this type of research (I think Scott Sicherer's latest reserach said do not eat nuts for kids with some likelihood of having dairy allergy, and he's a ped. allergist, if I recall). I don't really have my own allergist, and the first phone nurse I spoke with in OB had no clue and suggested I talk to my son's ped. allergist. I'll let you know what she says. We don't have peanuts in the house due to DS's allergies, but obviously easy enough to get at work, etc.

I didn't avoid anything with first pregnancy, and didn't overeat anything either, but my kiddo turned up with dairy, peanut, tree nut allergies. But if there's anything I can do to prevent the most serious allergies in my kid, I'll do it. :)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »
Hi, nice to see you again.  And nice that it's for something good.   ;D

Congratulations.

Offline cmf

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 08:09:21 AM »
But, does that apply even with a history of allergies? 

Yes ESPECIALLY with allergies-dont avoid anything it doesnt help and it may even harm. (ie predispose to allergies)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
With DS1 - I avoided nothing, including peanut butter sandwhiches.  He tested positive initially but our current allergist thinks he was never allergic.

With DS2 - I did avoid peanuts, guess what he seems to react to?

With DD - I avoided nothing, no allergies.

Moderation with everything and realization that you are an atopic family so there may be nothing you can do to avoid allergies, kwim?

my experience is the opposite. With oldest dd I didn't avoid anything and in fact, ate a lot of pb and peanuts. She is allergic to all nuts and peanuts. With my 2nd and 3rd children I avoided peanut/tree nut and neither tested positive and both have had may contains with no problems.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA