login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Connecting "FA Action Plan" with "Asthma Action Plan"  (Read 9075 times)

Description:

anonymous

Connecting "FA Action Plan" with "Asthma Action Plan"
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »
A lot of us have read the article "When Anaphylaxis Looks Like Asthma", which can be found at
http://www.aanma.org/pdf/AnaphylaxisGuide.pdf.  I have always given a copy of this article to schools and camps that have cared for dd (and I still will), but I wanted to document that my dd's doctors agree with the advice given in the article.  This is important to me because my dd has asthma symptoms much more frequently then allergic reactions, which I felt put her at risk since others tend to think of her asthma, not her FA, if she has respiratory symptoms.

So anyway, this is what I did.  I'm posting it here in case it will help others and also to see if there are suggestions for improving it.

There are 3 stapled "1 page" documents:

1.  Standard Food Allergy Action Plan

2.  Asthma Action Plan.  This was a standard form and there was not much room for changes.  However, in the "Yellow Zone" section, after it mentions the asthma rescue meds to be given, it then says if those meds don't work "in < 5 minutes, consider EpiPen".  I figured this at least gets whoever is watching dc to remember her FA.

3.  Separate note from pulmonologist.  It has some specific asthma instructions regarding dd.  It also has a paragraph connecting FA and asthma: 

Snipped at request of OP.  See reply #7 for different wording.

I realize it's not perfect, but it is important to keep it simple for schools.  Allowing that 5 minutes on the asthma side is debatable, but she has symptoms a lot and they often don't resolve quickly.  I'm thinking of having the allergist modify the FA action plan to make a note that every minute counts in a FA reaction and it is important not to delay giving Epi if FA is
suspected.

I don't usually post exact wording like this, but I thought that this was important enough to share.

So, what do you think?

edited at request of OP.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:46:26 PM by Mfamom »

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: Connecting "FA Action Plan" with "Asthma Action Plan"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
Thank you for posting that!  I have also worried about people thinking a rx could be asthma.  Our asthma action plan says give epi if symptoms don't improve.

I've also let my ds know that epinephrine is an excellent asthma drug and that if he ever has asthma symptoms that don't improve with albuteral, to use it!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

anonymous

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:24:19 AM »
That's interesting that you also have an epi as part of your asthma action plan.  It wasn't a part of dd's until I requested it.

I'm going to leave this here, but delete this id.  As always, of course, check with your own doctors about what is appropriate for your action plans.

anonymous

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »
I just wanted to finish this.

I forgot that FAAN had a new format for the FA action plan that stresses Epi   :thumbsup:

(Guests aren't allowed to post links - maybe somebody can post the FAAN FA action plan for me)

Very good.

Our allegist also wrote to give epi 1st (before asthma meds) in the event of a FA reaction.

anonymous

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
It's me again  :hiding:

Did you notice that here

Any SEVERE SYMPTOMS after suspected or known ingestion:
One or more of the following:

they don't have "Gut" anymore?

They do have it in this section
Or combination of symptoms from different body areas:

hmmmmm

What do you think?

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
(Guests aren't allowed to post links - maybe somebody can post the FAAN FA action plan for me)

http://www.foodallergy.org/files/FAAP.pdf

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:21:39 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:50:57 PM by LinksEtc »

anonymous

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »
I'm rethinking this and I'm not happy with the above wording.  (Maybe a mod can delete so nobody copies it)

Maybe this would be better?
As dd’s pulmonologist treating her asthma, I wanted to make the school aware that the symptoms of asthma and food allergy anaphylaxis can be very similar.  If dd has signs of isolated respiratory distress (i.e. wheezing, cough, shortness of breath) and there has been a suspected or known ingestion of her food allergen, immediately refer to her Food Allergy Action Plan.  <Asthma rescue med> treatments are NOT sufficient for Food Allergy Exposure, but epinephrine will help treat either asthma or food allergy anaphylaxis.  If food allergy exposure is not suspected, then follow her Asthma Action Plan, but if symptoms are not improving, consider whether there may have been an unintentional food allergy exposure. 

Thanks for letting me think out loud.  I may refine more privately.  It's so hard because she has asthma symptoms so often and I don't want her epi'd all the time, yet if it is FA, it is so important to epi.  I like how the FA action plan explains that antihistamines and inhalers/bronchodilators are not to be depended upon to treat a severe FA reaction.  Maybe this will let those caring for dd know that her different doctor's are on the same page as far as treatment.

I'm just a confused FA/asthma mom.  Talk to your own doctors!!!

It would be nice to see a standard asthma action plan that takes into account the special considerations of those with FA as well as asthma.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 12:25:11 PM »
I'm going to put this link here also:

"Sudden Death: British High School Student’s Case Raises Questions"
http://www.asthmaallergieschildren.com/2012/01/11/sudden-death-british-high-school-student%E2%80%99s-case-raises-questions/

Regardless, whether this was a case of food allergy anaphylaxis or asthma or both epinephrine is the best emergency treatment for both kinds of airway constriction, but the double duty makes prompt use even more critical.

-----------------

ETA - Linking to this thread which is a continuation of this discussion (page 2 has a pic):

Standard Protocol for "Asthma Action Plans"

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:05:02 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
bumping for some new members-- also linking to our other related thread:

Re:  Grab her inhaler! That LOOKS like an asthma attack! Oh, oops . . . anaphylaxis:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Thanks for posting. We just lost a student here in the district. They never even called 911.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
Jschwab can you post--or PM me if you want privacy--any news articles about this? I am dealing with a similar situation and that article could be helpful to give for school.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »
There have been two fatalities in WA that were very likely the result of delayed treatment due to presentation as asthma--

Nathan Walters

and another one-- Amaria/Ammaria??  (Can't think of the name-- but it was in the greater Seattle area within the past several years-- happened at the very start of the school day.)

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
Ammaria was Virginia.  She was given a peanut at school.

I did find the example Jschwab was referring to. It doesn't seem FAs were involved 

:'(
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »

MERCEDES.  Mercedes Mears. 
That was her name.  Her parents sued.  She was ten-- and died from probable anaphylaxis-- Spanaway WA/Bethel school district in Washington State. 

This is a full article clip from a cached news article:  I've bolded portions for emphasis.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this points to some serious issues getting OTHERS to even follow an anaphylaxis treatment plan when they think that they are dealing with "just asthma."

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:37:32 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.