FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pine Nuts- Do you avoid them if allergic to tree nuts?  (Read 17051 times)

Description:

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
Re: Pine Nuts- Do you avoid them if allergic to tree nuts?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »
from wiki:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut

they are technically seeds

Ajas:  for you from the article--Risks from eating pine nutsPine nuts can cause taste disturbances, lasting between a few days to a few weeks after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[11] Publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine nut syndrome" or as "pine mouth".[12] The Nestlé Research Centre has hypothesized that nuts from a particular species of pine occurring mostly in China, Pinus armandii, is the cause of the problem. The suspect species of pine nuts are smaller, duller, and more rounded than typical pine nuts.[13] A 2011 study found results consistent with this hypothesis and also suggested that chemicals used in the shelling process might be responsible.[14] Metallic taste disturbance, known as metallogeusia, is typically reported 1–3 days after ingestion, being worse on day 2 and lasting typically up to 2 weeks. Cases are self-limited and resolve without treatment.[15] Möller[16] has postulated a hypothesis that could explain why the bitter taste appears several days after ingestion and lasts for as long. A well known physiological process known as enterohepatic recirculation (EHR) could play a key role in the development of PNS.

The FDA is currently investigating “Pine Mouth”.[17]

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline buttons

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »
We avoid pine nuts for PN/TNA son.

An aside, I think it was pine nuts that were responsible for the Bertucci's death of an individual who identified herself as tna. 

Offline penelope

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
thanks everyone for your replies.  We are doing our yearly allergy blood work next month.  We are 100% testing for pine nuts this time!
Would love to start making some foods with pine nuts if my kid is not really allergic and I can find pine nut not cross contaminated with peanuts.

Offline treebark

Re: Pine Nuts- Do you avoid them if allergic pine trees
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
Hey If I am allegic to pinetrees but im not allergic to nuts, will I have a reaction if i eat pine nuts?, when I cut a pine tree for christmas I get hives all over my arms, so I switched to artificials seems to help not having a real tree in the house for my breathing as well, I am worried if i go to a restaurant or something and the have some kinda dish with pine nuts in it, I will be in big trouble if i am allergic to them, Ingesting something that comes from a tree that makes me break out worries me a lot, does anyone know if this is an issue?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
The proteins shouldn't cross-react-- pine nuts, like any other seed, contain specialty 'seed storage' proteins, which have little-to-nothing in common with any of the other proteins that the plant produces for its other metabolic requirements.

This is why someone who is allergic to walnuts may have no trouble at all handling or even working with walnut WOOD, and can certainly tolerate the pollen from the tree without any problem.

Does that make sense?

The sap of many conifers contains terpenoid compounds that are highly irritating to the skin, not to mention being pretty potent sensitizing agents (potential allergens); that doesn't make their seeds particularly allergenic, however, nor their pollens.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
What CM said.  Plus,pine trees have mold and stuff on them, and if you are allergic to the mold, but not the pine itself, you can react.  That is DH's problem.  He is allergic to the mold on the tree, so before we bring it in, we have to spray the crap out of it with anything that might kill the mold (he likes to use Lysol, but I cannot breathe if he uses that, so I put Listerine in a spray pump and that works pretty well too). 
USA

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »
Both kids tested neg to pine nuts.  They did have chance to eat non-Xcontam pinenuts that we prepared at home (roasted in shell) and had with a pasta.

Was fine for our kids & they didn't have any adverse response.  Plus they loved them.

Have not been able to get those pinenuts again as one source didn't have due to drought.

Not sure if I'll be able to get them this coming fall, but will try.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!