FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New EpiPen TV ad . . .  (Read 41955 times)

Description: trying to figure out how to post

Offline SilverLining

Re: New EpiPen TV ad . . .
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
They did do surveys.

I think the redesign made them more popular with school staff.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »
oh, I wasnt sure if they did or not.  More popular with school because of the non exposed needle etc?
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline maeve

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »
oh, I wasnt sure if they did or not.  More popular with school because of the non exposed needle etc?

Most likely.  And despite the lack of exposed needle, my school system still must have the staff put on gloves when administering the EpiPen judging by the gloves I found in the bag with her EpiPen when I retrieved them at the end of the school year last year.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
Wow. Speechless.

Well then, I should head to Red Lobster tomorrow for lunch and just down some fried shrimp.

Not.

Ugh.

Slack jaw...

Uhhhhhhh......

yeah.  What she said. 

GGA.  With friends like this, who needs the PTA-Cupcake-a-palooza-posse?   :disappointed:

Look, ma-- I've got my 'get-out-of-death-free' card!  I'll be FINE!

Great.  Dey should tell it to a few parents whose kids DID carry their damned epinephrine injectors, attempted to use them properly... and died ANYWAY. 

:tongue:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
I sent DH the link to this thread and here's what he wrote me back:

"Wow, honey, I'm 58 years old, 90 pounds overweight, and have a history of heart problems. Are you sure I should run this marathon?"

"Don't be silly, dear. With the new MedAssist Portable Defibrillator, we'll be prepared!"

I do love his sense of humor.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
<snort>

Exactly.  Why in the sweet and crunchy name of all that is cross-contaminated would the makers of Epipen (of all people) turn allergy safety into a ZERO SUM GAME??

Geeeeeeeeez Louise...

say it with me everyone:

There is NO WAY TO BE CAREFUL ENOUGH not to carry emergency medications.  Ever.  Yes?  good.

Oh-- AND*

There is NO AMOUNT OF MEDICATION that makes deliberate exposure a GOOD IDEA outside of a clinical setting.

*Note that this is not and/or.  It's AND.   I thought this latter point was pretty basic, but Mylan seems to have some trouble with the second half of things, here.

I'm posting this as Admin because frankly, NOT understanding one of those two absolutes is what KILLS PEOPLE with food allergies.  Please, anyone reading this having stumbled upon this post-- consider that and educate yourself.  Please.  My only motivation is to prevent people from dying-- particularly children.   :-[
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:01:38 AM by AdminCM »

Offline Momcat

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »
Complain to the FDA, folks!

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Surveillance/DrugMarketingAdvertisingandCommunications/ucm209384.htm#RecognizeReport

Email: BadAd@fda.gov
Tell them that this ad overstates the effectiveness of EpiPen.
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
Who or what is Mylan?

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »
I sent DH the link to this thread and here's what he wrote me back:

"Wow, honey, I'm 58 years old, 90 pounds overweight, and have a history of heart problems. Are you sure I should run this marathon?"

"Don't be silly, dear. With the new MedAssist Portable Defibrillator, we'll be prepared!"

I do love his sense of humor.

coffee on screen now lol

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »
the ad itself makes me angry.  The fact that when questioned by the allergy community, they say FAAN Supports it.  That makes me so mad.  Heeelllloooo people, not every allergic family supports FAAN....and for reasons like this.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
I suspect, since it is a marketing campaign, they are targeting people who might need epipens, but do not bother.  They will not be selling any more epipens to people like us here.  We already buy as many as we can.  So, if you are the person who thinks, I won't ever need that, and Iknow a few, maybe they are trying to reach those folks.  Make them recinsider.  "Hmmm, maybe I shoud get one." 

Education?  Right. It is all about money and trying to sell more epipens, right? 

Really misleading ad for the general public to see.
Well, maybe they have something there-- since I'm not sure just how many epipens it would take for me to live as though I didn't have any food allergies.  But I'm pretty sure it's more than a pair of refills every 18 months. 

That may be the underlying profit motive, as impossibly ICKY as it seems.   :disappointed:  More reactions = more sales.  More avoidance = FEWER sales.

Simple, if particularly appalling calculus, that.  Don't think that discussions like that are not made around boardroom tables, though.  Take a look at any product safety scandal for examples of who knew what, and when, and the calculation of "how much will it cost to fix versus how much will it cost to pay off the people we kill?"

Fairly short-sighted on the other hand, since if everyone TOOK the implied advice in the ad, they'd soon be selling a lot FEWER epipens when many food allergic people died after massive, catastrophic exposures undertaken with the "not-to-worry, I'll just use epinphrine so that I can live any way I please" attitude they are advocating.  Oh, and when many of the incorrectly diagnosed figured out through trial and error that--whoops-- diagnosis was incorrect after all and isn't it great that Timmy doesn't really HAVE a milk allergy after all these years of avoidance...

Remember, Maria Acebal is a former Dey exec.  I'm not terribly surprised if there is a partnership between FAAN and Dey/Mylan such that the PR is a well-oiled machine and FAAN is controlling their message on the subject for the sake of that partnership. 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:14:02 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
okay, CM you're giving me chills. 

Even if the message was supposed to be "carry your epi pen", they did not do a good job IMHO by clouding the message with an insinuation that he was carrying his epi pen because he'd be eating cake with who knows what

How about a story line where in spite of strict avoidance, a reaction occurred and thankfully an epi pen was available? 

Maybe creepy but how about something along the lines of what the smoke detector ads were awhile back....smoke detectors help save lives, with the follow ups to change the batteries. 

"you never know when an allergic reaction will come, be ready with EPI Pen autoinjector.  Carrying an epi pen at all times will improve your chances of surviving an allergic reaction."  followed up by remember to check the dates of your epi pens and replace them as needed. 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
Oh, CM, I was not thinking they were hoping for more reactions, and therefore more epi sales.  Just that they may be targeting a less aware audience, and making them think they should go get that epi they don't carry.  I know alot of folks with allergies who do not carry epie(foods, bees, etc...). 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
A better ad would be the ignorant party thrower swearing there were no nuts in the cake and then a reaction, and the "Well, I picked a few off the top of the cake."
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy