login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epi Pens for infants  (Read 18570 times)

Description:

Offline socks on a rooster

Epi Pens for infants
« on: May 03, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
I met a mom today who has a 7 mo. old 19 lb baby who has been diagnosed with egg, soy, and peanut allergies (and others) by an allergist. Mom was told peanut was very high, stay clear of any form of peanut. They did blood and skin tests. The baby has bad eczema and mom brought him in because of a reaction to potato, plus the skin issues. She was told they do not prescribe epi pens for infants by her allergist. She was given instructions to use Benedryl.

Would testing a baby that young with blood and skin tests be accurate? (Both came up positive agreeing) Years ago I recall being told it isn't accurate until around age 2 years.

Epi Pen Jr. beginning weight limit is 33 lbs, but I know allergists prescribe to children weighing less than that. So what about this? Anyone know the scoop?

Online YouKnowWho

Re: Epi Pens for infants
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »
My son was prescribed his first pen at 5mo of age - weighed about 12lb, allergist always said that the good it could do would outweigh the risks.  Now this particular allergist was an idiot and discounted DS1's barley reaction as ana (though hospital disagreed) and told me when I called that only nuts would cause an ana rxn.

DS1 tests positive for a host of things, had eczema, etc.  Honestly given current guidelines, he would have never been tested for many of these things (top 8 spt).  At his initial test he was positive for wheat, egg, soy, peanuts and the tree nut mix. Now he may have outgrown soy but current allergist given his long list of false positives in the past that he was never allergic to peanuts and tree nuts (this is the kid who tests positive to rice, corn, oats, soy, dairy, peanuts and tree nuts but is only allergic to wheat, rye, barley and egg).

Well it's nice in theory to just avoid those allergens, realistically that baby will be crawling and walking soon with likely no issue with putting random things in his mouth.  Honestly, I would see if the ped would prescribe and epi or find another allergist.  I know our current allergist would prescribe an epi.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »
My DD had her first epipen junior when she only weighed about 17 lbs.

There is a risk of intracranial hemorrhage below 22 lbs, but as YKW notes, in kids with certain allergies (peanuts, shellfish) and certainly in those with anaphylaxis history (  :bye: ) the risks are minimal compared to the risk of being UNABLE TO TREAT a life-threatening reaction.

Little kids are so hard... they wander, they touch things, they put their hands in the eyes and mouths...

<PTSD>   :hiding:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:52:33 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 05:21:03 AM »
WE were given an epi for DS when he was 12 months + 2 weeks.  A few days after his first reaction.  Not sure what he weighed, but I guess it was over 25 lbs because we had to get a new car seat before his birthday.  HIs old one was good to 25 lbs.
USA

Offline MommyOfTwo+1

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »
DS2 had his first spt done at 3 months old because of his horrible horrible cracking and oozing eczema.   His pn popped at 9mm and everything else left nary a mark.  He got his epi at 9 months.  As already mentioned the gain far outweighed the risk.  At 16 months he was retested and his pn then went up to 16mm. 

I did have a hard time though when he was 3 months old convincing the drs to give a referral to get him tested.  I finally found one that did. The allergist when I told him said that he didn't think it was true that spt's on kids younger than 2 would not give accurate (well accurate as the typical false positive rate) results.

Offline Momcat

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »
DS's allergy testing at 6mos was accurate.  He had an epipen jr.  I don't remember his weight at the time.
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 06:58:40 PM »
Epi Jn at 18 pounds at 9 months of age for my son.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline joanna5

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
I used D's for the first time at almost eight months, so maybe 16-17 pounds.  R was prescribed his at about 9 months and 16 pounds.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
Thanks, this is very helpful. I will suggest that mom seek a second opinion with a different allergist.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »
I'm a bit late, but when Elmo had his first reaction, he was 15 months old.  We were in the middle of nowhere with no phone and unreliable cell service.

DH drove us to the hospital, with me sitting in the back seat holding my epi-pen.  The reaction was not anaphylactic, but I feared it Would develop into it.  The whole way, dh was hollaring...you cannot give him that, it's too much, it's for an adult.  I kept calmly replying....if he needs it he dies without it, I'll take the chance with it.

At the hospital (where they agreed NOT giving epi was the right call this time) I told the doctor of ur disagreement.  He said in anaphylaxis if the choice is to much or none...too much is the better option.

He was an ER doctor, not an allergist.  But, just thought it's appropriate for this thread.