login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Air Canada  (Read 1752 times)

Description: New allergy policy.

Offline QsMommy

Air Canada
« on: May 11, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »
I found out this week that Air Canada has a new allergy policy (could't find it on their website).

Apparently, if you don't speak with their Medical Desk, have your doctor fill about Air Canada's forms and then be approved by the Medical Desk, Air Canada may not let you board the plane.

I called this week to have DS's seat flagged as Peanut Allergy and to ask for a buffer zone (we fly in 7 days).  That was when I was told I had to get forms filled out by the doctor etc...  The Medical Desk said that if I had asked when checking in that the attendant would have to call the Medical Desk and I would be denied a buffer zone AND  I would have to swear that my son would not have an allergic reaction on that flight!?.  Then it would be up to the captain whether or not we would be allowed to board.  If the Medical Desk was not open then we would not be allowed to board the plane.

Apparently, West Jet has the same policy.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Thankfully, my doctor got the paperwork in quickly and Air Canada approved it. 

One good thing is that DS has been approved for the next 3 years and will get the buffer zone on all flights and I will be allowed to pre board to wipe down the seats etc

We have flown with Air Canada many times in the past and 50% of the time we get a buffer zone.  So, I guess this is a good thing. 

I am just thankful that I called a week early and not the usual 48 hours before the flight.

Ali

Canada