FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Philadelphia  (Read 5075 times)

Description:

Offline maeve

Philadelphia
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »
I'm taking DD to Philadelphia this weekend for the long weekend.  We're staying at the Embassy Suites and will be taking the train up.  I've been to the McCormick and Schmick's near City Hal before and they were great for DD's allergies.  The hotel has breakfast in the morning (though I'll probably bring cereal and bagels for DD).  The room has a mini-fridge and microwave.

I'm not sure what we're doing Friday evening when we arrive.  On Saturday, we're planning to do the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, etc.  On Sunday, I think we will take the ferry over to the aquarium in Camden.  On Monday morning before we leave, I think we'll do the Franklin Institute.

Any suggestions on places to eat or things to do?  Are either of the famous cheesesteak places safe for someone with egg, tree nut, and peanut allergies?
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline MandCmama

Re: Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »
Don't know about the cheese steak places, but I was just there this weekend.  I noted there is a Chipotle in the area around the convention center (sorry don't remember exactly where).  I have another appointment @ Jefferson in 3 weeks and we're actually tossing the idea around of bringing the boys with us.  The poor things have never seen a BIG city before!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »
We had a good experience at Maggiano's in Philly.  We also had a very good experience with a Brazilian place on that same trip, but I cannot remember the name of it.  THey were very helpful about DS's allergy, though.
USA

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I actually rebooked our hotel.  I had not read TripAdvisor before booking (I usually do) and one review by a single female traveler mentioned a scruffy homeless person in the lobby and that staff were completely clueless and kept asking for her room number in front of said homeless person. I rebooked us into the Marriott downtown, which is across for Reading Terminal Market and is closer to the historic district, City Hall, and a SEPTA station.

USA-Virginia

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
DH and I both noticed many more homeless this year than on our last visit. Very sad.  This economy is just awful!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline yelloww

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »
There should be a lot of food options at RTM right by your hotel then. They have their own website:

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
There should be a lot of food options at RTM right by your hotel then. They have their own website:

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

That should definitely be a good option for getting fruit for snacks.  Unfortunately, we get in after 6 on Friday evening, and it's only open Saturday and Sunday.  We should be able to find stuff to eat. 

MandCMomma, I'm noticing more homeless in DC and pan-handling at intersections has picked up even in the outer suburbs.  It reminds me of when I came to school in the late 80s.  It had improved in the 90s.

USA-Virginia

Offline Nutternomore

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
Bumping up as we're planning a trip in about 2 weeks to Philly.  Staying at a Hyatt House in Mt. Laurel, but will have about 3 days in Philly and seeking any updated guidance for safe restaurants.  We'll be touring PENN, but also taking in the historical sites since we're in town.

DS with peanut/tree nut allergies; DD avoiding tomatoes and turkey (suspected allergies), and DW avoiding gluten.

Appreciate any suggestions!
Dad to 2 teens
DS - 16, allergic to peanuts/tree nuts
DD - 13, allergic to tomatoes, broccoli, turkey (suspected)

L

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:05 AM »
For future readers of this thread, all of the Starr Restaurant Group restaurants are great at accommodating food allergies. They have 20 restaurants in Phila; the more casual restaurants for kids include both Continental locations and Jones, but all of their restaurants have excellent food and are professional about accommodating allergies.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »
Thanks L, and welcome!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US