imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Viaskin Peanut patch  (Read 14509 times)

Description:

Corky

Re: Viaskin Peanut patch
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
Just as an update. My son just had his open challenge today with peanut butter and he passed!! His spt was still positive today (no surprise). My son liked the taste of peanut butter and had no reaction whatsoever to the peanut butter. I am flabbergasted. Based on his rast and spt i never would if predicted this.....

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
 :happydance:  That's AWESOME!!!!

Interesting, as I know that there was a recent blog post about FAHF-2 treatment also resulting in a much increased toleranace upon challenge, but still with a HUGELY positive SPT.

That seems to not be indicative of much in terms of ingestion, surprisingly.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »
That's wonderful! Congratulations!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline NancyH

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »
My son is actually in this study for his peanut allergies.  We've been using the patch for the last month.  i'm trying to find others who are also on the patch so we can compare stories and offer advice.

I'm very positive about this test so far.

Offline jny65

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 08:52:09 PM »
My son is starting this clinical trial in March.   He has recently failed an oral food challenge at our local allergist (he got to 1/4 tsp of peanut butter which is when he reacted with hives, decreased peak flow and sneezing/congestion).  He also had a skin prick test of 9mm.   I'm concerned that he won't react to the oral food challenge required for the study - approximately 1 peanut.  I guess we'll have to wait until the double-blind placebo-controlled food challenge to see if he qualifies.   

What were your son's Rast and skin prick test results?  How did he react with the oral challenge?  I would love to share experiences - assuming my son is accepted.  Any info you have would be great!  Thanks!

Corinna

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 10:22:37 PM »
Hello
Sorry I haven't been back but we haven't really done anything about his peanut allergy since his reaction. I am scared to death of giving him any more peanut butter...sort of want to challenge him in the waiting room of the ER!
He had RAST testing that ranged from a high of 62 to 30 on his latest one. No ARA testing done. SPT was done as a toddler and highly positive ..I think greater than 10.
I will be following the others with interest

Jenn

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 08:56:01 AM »
Hi Corinna,
Just wondering how your little one did at the peanut food challenge. Our story is similar to yours. Our son has proven highly allergic to peanuts, but somehow he was able to tolerate the challenge needed to qualify for the Viaskin study. Everyone was surprised. So, now we are considering challenging him further.
Jenn

Beth Dickson

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 01:35:34 PM »
My 7 year old son is currently wearing the patch.  We are on month 4 now.  He should be wearing the patch all day everyday, but it seems he is only able to tolerate an average of 18 hours.  IWhen they gave him the food challenge, he threw up on the very first dose. I'm optimistic and hoping this will desensitize him!

guess

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
 :bump:

NDAlexander

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 09:33:10 PM »
Do you wear a new patch every day? I'm doing a study on this and can't seem to find that answer anywhere. I would appreciate anyone's help with this. I completely understand what you're going through, I have celiac disease and have done too studies now. They are not fun, but to feel better even for the shortest amount of time is so worth it! :) Thank you!!

ninjaroll

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »
I didn't understand any of that, sorry.  But the basis is the same for any immunotherapy which is in no way a treatment for celiac.  The patch is only a different method for delivery of the allergen for desensitization.  It has been fast tracked by the FDA for peanut if somewhere in your post you were inquiring about IgE desense for peanut.