imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "Area Schools Adopting New Policies"  (Read 2312 times)

Description: Amarillo, TX June 2012

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
"Area Schools Adopting New Policies"
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »

Over 15 percent of children have a severe allergic reaction at school.

That's why every public and charter school in Texas is now required to implement a food allergy policy by August 1st.

Guidelines suggest mandatory training for school staff, as well as access to epi-pens in case of an allergic reaction.

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/18710808/area-schools-adopting-policies-for-kids-with-food-allergies
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline hedgehog

Re: "Area Schools Adopting New Policies"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:18:39 AM »
Does 15 percent of children having a severe allergic reaction at school seem high to anyone else?  Especially since earlier the article says 13percent have food allergies?  Does that mean every allergic kid there has a severe reaction at school?  Or have they phrased it in a way that does mean what they wanted it to?
USA

Offline rainbow

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:36:35 AM »
I think they mean 15% of those diagnosed with food allergies. That would make more sense.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
I was thinking either 15% of those diagnosed had severe reactions at school, or 15% of the school population is at risk for or has a history of severe reactions (food allergies plus bee sting/drug/latex allergies).  Of course, it's hard to tell what they actually did mean.
USA